Confused about Volumetric Flow Rate & Valves?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether the volumetric flow rate of an incompressible fluid changes across a valve. The conclusion is that the flow rate stays the same, but the flow at each valve position may be different. The purpose of valves is to control the flow by adjusting the valve position. Closing a valve can stop the flow completely, while partially closing it can reduce the flow due to increased head losses.
Ahm402
I'm new here, and I have a question that might be easy but really confuses me.
Does the volumetric flow rate of incompressible fluid change across a valve?. Based on my analysis, no it can not change since the mass is conserved, and since it's incompressible fluid. I know that the velocity will change within the valve due to change in the area, but at inlet and outlet will be the same. This analysis is even more confusing, if the flow rate is not changing, why would we use a valve? I know that the logic said that the valves are used to control the flow but how?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Valves can be closed to stop the flow entirely. Doesn't that count as controlling the flow?

Obviously, if a valve is opened fully a certain flow will pass thru. If the valve is then partially closed, and no other changes are made to the piping system, can the same flow pass thru the valve? The answer is no; a partially closed valve generates more head losses than a fully opened valve, thus a reduction in flow will result.

Likes Ahm402
Ahm402 said:
This analysis is even more confusing, if the flow rate is not changing, why would we use a valve? I know that the logic said that the valves are used to control the flow but how?
The flow is always constant across the valve under all valve positions, but that doesn't mean it is the same flow at each valve position. For example, fully open, maybe the flow is 10 m^3/hr on both sides of the valve. At half open, it is 5 m^3/hr on both sides of the valve.

Likes Ahm402
Thanks russ_watters for the explanation, that does make sense.

Hello, and welcome! Your question is a common one among those new to fluid mechanics. Let's break it down and explore the concept of volumetric flow rate and valves.

Firstly, the volumetric flow rate is the measure of the volume of fluid that passes through a given point in a specific amount of time. It is typically measured in units of cubic meters per second (m^3/s) or liters per minute (L/min). This is different from mass flow rate, which measures the mass of fluid passing through a point in a given time.

Now, onto your question about incompressible fluids and valves. You are correct in saying that the volumetric flow rate of an incompressible fluid does not change across a valve. This is because, as you stated, the mass of the fluid is conserved. In other words, the same amount of fluid that enters the valve must also exit the valve.

But as you mentioned, the velocity of the fluid can change within the valve due to a change in the area. This is where the purpose of valves comes into play. Valves are used to control the flow of fluid by changing the area through which the fluid can flow.

For example, if you have a valve that is partially closed, the area through which the fluid can flow is reduced, causing the velocity of the fluid to increase. This increase in velocity can be used to control the flow rate of the fluid.

So, while the volumetric flow rate of an incompressible fluid may not change across a valve, the valve itself is used to control the flow rate by manipulating the velocity of the fluid.

I hope this explanation has helped to clear up any confusion you may have had about volumetric flow rate and valves. Keep asking questions and exploring the fascinating world of fluid mechanics!

Related to Confused about Volumetric Flow Rate & Valves?

1. What is volumetric flow rate?

Volumetric flow rate is the measure of the volume of a fluid that flows through a given point in a specific period of time. It is usually expressed in units of volume per unit of time, such as cubic meters per second.

2. How is volumetric flow rate different from mass flow rate?

Volumetric flow rate measures the volume of a fluid, while mass flow rate measures the mass of a fluid. Volumetric flow rate takes into account the density of the fluid, while mass flow rate does not. This means that a change in temperature or pressure will affect the volumetric flow rate, but not the mass flow rate.

3. What is the role of valves in controlling volumetric flow rate?

Valves are used to regulate the flow of fluids through a system. By adjusting the opening and closing of the valve, the volumetric flow rate can be controlled. For example, a partially closed valve will restrict the flow and decrease the volumetric flow rate.

4. How are volumetric flow rate and valve size related?

The size of a valve can affect the volumetric flow rate in a system. A larger valve will have a higher capacity, allowing for a greater volumetric flow rate. However, the valve size must also be matched to the size of the pipes and other components in the system in order to maintain a balanced flow.

5. What factors can affect volumetric flow rate in a system?

The volumetric flow rate in a system can be affected by various factors, including the size and type of pipes, the viscosity of the fluid, the pressure and temperature of the fluid, and the presence of any obstructions or restrictions in the system. Additionally, the type and size of the valve used can also impact the volumetric flow rate.