Confused about Vector Calculus Curvature Formulas? Let's Clear Things Up!

In summary, the conversation discusses two formulas for curvature - the ordinary formula which has acceleration divided by speed squared, and the advanced formula which has the normal component of acceleration divided by speed squared. The speaker is confused about the difference between the two formulas and the other person explains that the tangential vector has been normalized, so there is no tangential component of acceleration in its derivative. The two formulas represent different ways of obtaining the normal component of acceleration. The speaker's confusion is resolved and their problem is solved.
Nikitin
Hey. so you have two formulas for curvature:

The ordinary: |dT/ds| = |a|/|v|2

And the advanced: |v x a|/|v|3 = |a|*sin(α)/|v|2 = |aN|/|v|2

But the problem is, those two formulas aren't the same? The top one has acceleration divided by speed squared, while the bottom one has normal component of acceleration divided by speed squared? where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
The tangential vector T has been normalized which means its length doesn't change and so no tangential component of acceleration appears in its derivative. Remember that the rate of change of a unit vector or any vector of constant length is a vector orthogonal to it. Any derivative of a fixed length vector valued function will be orthogonal.

The two formulas represent two distinct ways at getting just the normal component of acceleration in the expressions.

Yeah, but that's already baked into the formula I gave...

T = v/|v|. dT/ds = dT*dt/ds*dt = |v|-1*dT/dt = |v|-1*(dv/dt)/|v| = a/|v|2. If I take the absolute value it becomes the formula for curvature. But there, a = d2r/d2t, ie a equals the total acceleration.

Last edited:
did I formulate myself unclear in post #3? can some1 pls explain this to me? my exams are coming too fast :((

EDIT: nvm, problem's solved.

Last edited:

Related to Confused about Vector Calculus Curvature Formulas? Let's Clear Things Up!

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of objects that have both a magnitude and a direction, such as vectors. It involves the use of calculus techniques to analyze and manipulate vector fields.

2. What is curvature in vector calculus?

In vector calculus, curvature refers to the measure of how much a curve or surface deviates from being a straight line or a flat plane, respectively. It is a fundamental concept in differential geometry and is used to describe the shape of curves and surfaces.

3. How is curvature calculated in vector calculus?

There are several methods to calculate curvature in vector calculus, depending on the type of curve or surface. For a curve in two or three dimensions, the curvature can be calculated using the formula K = |dT/ds|, where T is the unit tangent vector and s is the arc length parameter. For a surface, the curvature can be calculated using the Gaussian curvature or the mean curvature.

4. What is the significance of curvature in vector calculus?

Curvature is an important concept in vector calculus as it provides a quantitative measure of the shape and behavior of curves and surfaces. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to model and analyze real-world objects and phenomena.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector calculus and curvature?

Vector calculus and curvature have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and more. Some examples include using curvature to analyze the shape of a roller coaster track, using vector calculus to calculate the electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism, and using curvature to design efficient airfoils for airplanes.