Confused about uniform circular motion (and it's velocity vector)

In summary, the velocity vector can be obtained by taking the cross product of Omega and r and expressing it in vector form using the given magnitudes.
Tobias101
Sorry if this is the wrong (sub)forum!

I need some help to understand how to express the following:

The velocity vector

When this is given:

Omega
radius

Both in magnitudes. I want to obtain an expression for the velocity vector when the angle theta (radians/s) is changed. That is, when i know the position of the particle:

(x,y) = r*(cos(theta),sin(theta)) Note: center is at (0,0)

I know the velocity vector is tangent to the point on the circle at any given time, and that it can be determined via the cross-product between the vectors omega and r, that is:

V = Omega X r

But how do i convert from magnitudes to vector form?? - it's very simple, I'm sure of it, but i cannot see anything in my book in calculus...

Any help appreciated - i hope i made myself clear

Physics news on Phys.org
! The velocity vector can be expressed as: V = (Omega * radius * sin(theta), -Omega * radius * cos(theta)). This is derived by taking the cross product of Omega and r, where Omega is expressed as a unit vector in the z direction (0, 0, 1) and r is expressed as (radius * cos(theta), radius * sin(theta), 0). The resulting velocity vector will have components in the x and y directions.

Related to Confused about uniform circular motion (and it's velocity vector)

1) What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at the same speed throughout its motion, but its direction is constantly changing as it moves around the circle.

2) How is velocity vector related to uniform circular motion?

The velocity vector in uniform circular motion is tangent to the circular path at any given point. This means that the direction of the velocity vector is constantly changing, but its magnitude (speed) remains constant.

3) What is the difference between speed and velocity in uniform circular motion?

Speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that includes the object's speed and direction. In uniform circular motion, the speed remains constant, but the direction of the velocity changes, making it a non-uniform velocity.

4) How does centripetal acceleration affect uniform circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object towards the center of a circular path. In uniform circular motion, the centripetal acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circle, causing the object to continuously change direction while maintaining a constant speed.

5) What are some real-life examples of uniform circular motion?

Some examples of uniform circular motion include the motion of a car around a roundabout, the rotation of a ceiling fan, and the orbit of planets around the sun. Any object that moves along a circular path at a constant speed can be considered an example of uniform circular motion.