Confused about the principle of least action

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the Lagrangian and using the principle of least action to find the Euler-Lagrange equations. The main point is that the symbol δ represents change in path, not time, and this must be understood in order to correctly solve the equations.
nomadreid
Gold Member
To make the confusions both concise and explicit, I will put down some incorrect calculations, and ask for corrections
Take the Lagrangian KE - PE = T - V
Action = S=∫ L dt (with given limits)
Principle of least action: δS= 0: S(t1)-S(t2) =0 if t1-t2 is small (using the (.) as function notation, not multiplication)
I presume δ can be taken as d/dt
Then d(∫ L dt)/dt = L(t1)-L(t2) = T(t1)-T(t2)+V(t2)-V(t1)=0
Next: conservation of energy
KE+PE = k for some k
So d/dt (T+V) = dT/dt + dV/dt = 0
If this is true on all points on the interval (t1,t2), then T(t1)-T(t2)+V(t1)-V(t2) = 0
Putting the two equations together... but obviously I've already gone way too far into the gross errors, and would be grateful for corrections. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
I presume δ can be taken as d/dt

Here's your error. The [itex]\delta[/itex] denotes change in path, not time. Most decent books on Lagrangian Mechanics or Calculus of variations will do a good job of explaining this. The idea, is that you have your action, [itex]S[/itex]. This is a function(al) of the path through space. So if you deform the path a very small amount, that is [itex]\delta S[/itex]. The path for which that is 0, like in normal calculus, is a max or min. I'm not comfortable enough to fully describe the process without going back to a book first, but doing this comes up with the Euler-Lagrange equations which are equivalent to Newton's Laws. I'm sure you can find a derivation online if your book isn't clear.

Thank you, DrewD. That helped very much.

Related to Confused about the principle of least action

1. What is the principle of least action?

The principle of least action states that the physical laws governing a system can be described as the system taking the path of least action in order to reach its final state. This means that the system will follow a path that minimizes the overall energy required to reach its final state.

2. How is the principle of least action related to classical mechanics?

The principle of least action is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics, as it is used to describe the behavior of physical systems in terms of energy and motion. It is particularly useful in analyzing the motion of particles, as it allows us to predict the path a particle will take based on the energy involved.

3. Can the principle of least action be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, the principle of least action can be applied to all physical systems, as it is a fundamental principle that is based on the laws of physics. It has been successfully applied to various fields such as optics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, among others.

4. How is the principle of least action used in practical applications?

The principle of least action is used in various practical applications, such as in engineering and design. It is also used in fields like economics and biology, where the concept of minimizing energy or effort can be applied to various systems and processes.

5. Is the principle of least action always accurate in predicting the behavior of physical systems?

The principle of least action is a very accurate and reliable concept in predicting the behavior of physical systems. However, there may be cases where other factors or external influences may affect the system and lead to deviations from the predicted path. In general, it is a very useful and powerful tool in understanding and describing the behavior of physical systems.