Confused About Squareroots & Absolute Values

In summary, the absolute value of a number can give either one or two solutions depending on the context. In the case of a quadratic equation, the absolute value of the discriminant gives two solutions, while in other cases, it may only give one solution. This can be confusing, but it is important to understand the different contexts in which the absolute value can be used to find solutions.
InvalidID
$${ x }^{ 2 }=4\\ \sqrt { { x }^{ 2 } } =\sqrt { 4 } \\ |x|=2$$
According to my professor, in the above case, the absolute value gives two solutions: ##x=±2##
Consider the discriminant in the quadratic formula: $$x=\frac { -b±\sqrt { { b }^{ 2 }-4ac } }{ 2a } \\ Let\quad { z }^{ 2 }={ b }^{ 2 }-4ac\\ ±\sqrt { { b }^{ 2 }-4ac } \\ =±\sqrt { { z }^{ 2 } } \\ =±|z|\\ =±z$$
However, according to my professor, in this case, the absolute value gives only one solution: ##|z|=z##

How come the absolute value sometimes gives one solution and sometimes it gives two solutions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
InvalidID said:
$${ x }^{ 2 }=4\\ \sqrt { { x }^{ 2 } } =\sqrt { 4 } \\ |x|=2$$
According to my professor, in the above case, the absolute value gives two solutions: ##x=±2##
Consider the discriminant in the quadratic formula: $$x=\frac { -b±\sqrt { { b }^{ 2 }-4ac } }{ 2a } \\ Let\quad { z }^{ 2 }={ b }^{ 2 }-4ac\\ ±\sqrt { { b }^{ 2 }-4ac } \\ =±\sqrt { { z }^{ 2 } } \\ =±|z|\\ =±z$$
However, according to my professor, in this case, the absolute value gives only one solution: ##|z|=z##
This makes no sense to me. If z is ≥ 0, then |z| = z. OTOH, if z < 0, then |z| = -z.
InvalidID said:
How come the absolute value sometimes gives one solution and sometimes it gives two solutions?

Related to Confused About Squareroots & Absolute Values

1. What is a squareroot?

A squareroot is a mathematical operation that finds the number which, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the squareroot of 25 is 5, because 5 multiplied by itself is 25.

2. How do I calculate a squareroot?

There are a few different methods for calculating a squareroot, but the most common method is using a calculator or a computer program. You can also use a process called "estimation by repeated squaring" to calculate a squareroot by hand.

3. What is an absolute value?

An absolute value is a mathematical term that represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always a positive number, regardless of whether the original number was positive or negative.

4. How do I calculate an absolute value?

To calculate an absolute value, you simply remove the negative sign (if there is one) from the number. If the number is already positive, the absolute value will be the same as the original number.

5. Why do I need to know about squareroots and absolute values?

Squareroots and absolute values are important concepts in mathematics that are used in many real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and finance. Understanding how to calculate and use these values can help you solve problems and make accurate calculations in various fields.