Confused about separation of variables for PDE

In summary, the book explains that to solve a PDE by separation of variables, there are three cases to check: when the separation constant λ is equal to 0, -a^2, and a^2. However, in this particular problem, they substituted the entire coefficient of X, (λ-1)/k, instead of just λ. The solution manual provides a picture of this substitution, but it is unclear why they did this instead of simply substituting λ. It is recommended to try working through the problem for a better understanding.
jetforcegemin
So my book says that to solve a PDE by separation of variables, we check the three cases where λ, the separation constant, is equal to 0, -a^2, and a^2. But in this particular problem, instead of substituting λ=0, λ = a^2, λ= -a^2, they substitute the entire coefficient of X, (λ-1)/k =0, (λ-1)/k =a^2, and (λ-1)/k =-a^2. I've linked a picture of what it says in the solution manual. I don't understand why in this particular problem they substituted the entire coefficient of X rather than just λ.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2751/91625740.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equality f''(x)+cf(x)=0 defines a set of differential equations. It contains one equation for each value of c. You can use the same mathematical expression for the general solution of any equation in (any) one of the subsets defined by c<0, c=0 and c>0, but you need a different mathematical expression for each of those three subsets.

Last edited:
jetforcegemin said:
So my book says that to solve a PDE by separation of variables, we check the three cases where λ, the separation constant, is equal to 0, -a^2, and a^2. But in this particular problem, instead of substituting λ=0, λ = a^2, λ= -a^2, they substitute the entire coefficient of X, (λ-1)/k =0, (λ-1)/k =a^2, and (λ-1)/k =-a^2. I've linked a picture of what it says in the solution manual. I don't understand why in this particular problem they substituted the entire coefficient of X rather than just λ.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2751/91625740.jpg

You should try to do the working for yourself. I don't have time to show you what they did in LaTex, but here is the nitty gritty

kX'' - X/X = -L

kX'' = -LX + X

X'' = -LX + X/k

X'' = X(-L+1/k)

X'' + X(-L+1/k) = 0

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Confused about separation of variables for PDE

1. What is the concept of separation of variables for PDE?

The concept of separation of variables for PDE (partial differential equations) is a technique used to solve a PDE by splitting the equation into simpler, one-dimensional equations. This is done by assuming that the solution can be written as a product of functions of each variable.

2. How does separation of variables work for PDE?

Separation of variables works by first identifying the independent variables in the PDE and then assuming that the solution can be written as a product of functions of each variable. By substituting this assumed solution into the PDE and rearranging the terms, the PDE can be transformed into a set of simpler, one-dimensional equations that can be solved separately.

3. What types of PDE can be solved using separation of variables?

Separation of variables can be used to solve linear, homogeneous PDE with constant coefficients. It is commonly used for PDEs that describe physical phenomena such as heat conduction, wave propagation, and diffusion.

4. Are there any limitations to using separation of variables for PDE?

Yes, there are limitations to using separation of variables for PDE. This method can only be applied to PDEs with constant coefficients, and the boundary conditions must also be separable. Additionally, this method may not work for all types of PDEs, and in some cases, other techniques may be more suitable for solving them.

5. Can separation of variables be used for nonlinear PDE?

No, separation of variables cannot be used for nonlinear PDEs. This method relies on the linearity of the PDE to separate the variables and solve them independently. Nonlinear PDEs do not follow this property and require different methods for solving them.