Confused about Physical Chemistry Calculations?

In summary,1) The space vehicle,Gemini,started its journey in space with 322kg of liquid CH3NHNH2. This fuel is oxidised by dinitrogen tetroxide,N2O4,to form nitrogen,carbon dioxide and water.2) Which of the following contains 1 mol of the particles stated?1 mol of the particles stated is 805kg, but the answer given is 875kg. I don't think that I have anything wrong in my calculations, so I need your answer.3) The density of ice is 1.00gcm-3. What volume of steam is produced when 1cm3 of ice is heated to
siewwen168
Hello,there are some question about physical chemistry to be asked. :-p

1) The space vehicle,Gemini,started its journey in space with 322kg of liquid
fuel, CH3NHNH2. This fuel is oxidised by dinitrogen tetroxide,N2O4,to form
nitrogen,carbon dioxide and water.hat is the mass of N2O4,in kg,that is
required to oxidiese all the fuel?
(A) 258
(B) 644
(C) 805
(D) 875 *
(E) 161
The answer i got is c,but actual is d,is there anything wrong bout my calculations??can anyone show me? :smile:

2) Which of the following contains 1 mol of the particles stated?
(A) Chlorine molecules in 35.5g of chlorine gas
(B) Electrons in 1g of hydrogen gas *
(C) Hydrogen ions in 1dm3 of 1 moldm-3 aqueous sulphuric acid
(D) Oxygen atoms in 22.4dm3 of oxygen gas at s.t.p

thanks a lot for anyone who help :wink: :smile: :-p

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The space vehicle,Gemini,started its journey in space with 322kg of liquid CH3NHNH2

How many moles is this?

can you write out the balanced reaction that is taking place? Do these 2 steps and you should be able to get the answer. If not post what work you have done.

2) Which of the following contains 1 mol of the particles stated?

Once again calculate moles.

For A how many moles is 35.5g of Cl2 gas? 1 mole of Cl2 has 2 moles of Cl molecules.
b) how many moles is 1g of H2 gas? there are 2 e- in 1 mol of H2 gas...
etc...

hi,actually from my calculation of the first question,the mass of N2O4 that i got is 805kg,but the answer given is 875kg.i don;t think that i have anything wrong in my calculations,so i need your answer.Because those question got a lot of mistakes,haha,maybe I'm just lying to myself.but pls,can u give me your answer?

Before i proceed,i have to apologize first because i got more question to trouble u.so sorry bout that. :blushing: :smile:
1) Explain why carbon-12 replaced oxygen as a standard in the determination of relative atomic mass?(or why it used as a standard in determining Ar?)
Is it because carbon-12 is more available compared to oxygen,and it's easier to transport than oxygen.this is my answer,but i don;t know whether correct or not.it sounds stupid,right? :-p

2) Haemoglobin is a protein which carries oxygen in the red blood cell. Each
molecule of haemoglobin contains 4 iron atoms.If 1g of haemoglobin contains 0.00341g of iron ,calculate the RMM of haemoglobin.

3) The density of ice is 1.00gcm-3.What volume of steam is produced when 1cm3 of ice is heated to 323degree celcius(596K) at a pressure of 1 atm.(101kPa)? (1 mol gas occupies 24.0dm3 at 25 degree celcius and 1 atm.)

Till here,that's all. I think there are more.sorry for that.u may think that i;m lazy to solve my own problem,but i did try,at last,i can't get it.therefore,i need someone to help.anyway,thanks a lot for your help. :-p :smile: :wink:

The balanced equation is:
CH3NHNH2 +(5/4)N204-----> (9/4)N2+CO2+3H20
I don't have a periodic table so you have to plug in what the values are...

322kg fuel x (1000gfuel/1kgfuel) x (1 mol fuel/mw of fuel) x (5/4 mol N204/1mol fuel) x (mw of N204/1mol N204)= units cancel and you get your answer in g of N204, you just need to fill in the 2 molecular weights. The answer asks for amount of N204 in kgs so just divide your answer by 1000

These are all the same types of problems

1) instead of me typing this website explains-http://dl.clackamas.cc.or.us/ch104-03/changes.htm

2.)It says the ratio of molecules of Fe to a molecule of hemoglobin is 4:1. How many moles of Fe is 0.00341g of iron? Divide this by 4 and you have the number of moles of hemoglobin. Thus you know 1g is X moles of hemoglobin from that you should be able to find mw of hemoglobin

3.) how many moles of water is 1cm^3 of ice? figure that out and use PV=nRT

Last edited by a moderator:
question again.

thanks bout the answer for changes in standard. :smile:

for second question ,0.00341g of iron have 0.00341/26 moles of iron atoms ,right?the answer will then divided by 4 because 1 molecule of haemoglobin contain 4 atoms of iron.1g of haemoglobin will contain the moles that i count,then 1g will be divided by the answer,and the relative molecular mass of haemoglobin will be known.i got 30498.5 but the answer is 65454,why? :confused:

For the third question, 1 cm^3 of ice is 1/18 mole of ice,right?Then,pV=nRT,
V=nRT/p
=(8.31x1/18x596)/(101x10^3)
=2.72x10^-3 m3
*the answer given is 2.67 dm3,when i convert my answer,it's wrong ,why? :redface:

anyway,thanks a lot for helping me so much :-p :wink:

Related to Confused about Physical Chemistry Calculations?

1. What is physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter on a molecular and atomic level. It combines principles of physics and chemistry to understand and explain the fundamental nature of matter and its interactions.

2. What are some common topics in physical chemistry?

Some common topics in physical chemistry include thermodynamics, chemical kinetics, quantum mechanics, spectroscopy, and molecular structure. These topics help us understand the behavior and properties of matter and how they can be manipulated and controlled.

3. How is physical chemistry different from other branches of chemistry?

Physical chemistry differs from other branches of chemistry in that it focuses on the underlying physical principles that govern the behavior and properties of matter, rather than just the chemical reactions and compounds themselves. It also incorporates mathematical and computational tools to study and analyze these principles.

4. What are some real-world applications of physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry has many practical applications in fields such as materials science, pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and energy production. For example, physical chemists can help design new materials with specific properties, develop more efficient energy sources, and understand the mechanisms of drug interactions in the body.

5. What skills are important for studying physical chemistry?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are crucial for studying physical chemistry, as well as a solid understanding of basic chemistry and physics principles. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and experimental design skills are also important for conducting research in this field.