Confused about invariant mass in particle collision

The total energy is still 2Mc^2.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of positrons to create a pair of proton and antiproton with enough energy in a collider. The total energy of the pair is determined by the sum of the invariant mass, which is twice the rest mass of a proton, and the kinetic energy. This is represented by the equations E = T + 2Mc^2 and E^2 = (pc)^2 + (Mc^2)^2. The use of the sum of the masses is appropriate in these equations because the total energy is equal to 2Mc^2 when the kinetic energy is zero.
iacephysics
Ok, when you use positrons to shoot at stationary electrons in a collider with enough energy so that you make a pair of proton and antiproton. The total energy of the pair would be E = T + MC^2, where M is the total invariance mass of the pair, namely 2*938Mev, or I can use E^2 = (pc)^2 + (Mc^2)^2, and M here is still the invariant mass. I got the correct answer using M = 2 times the mass of the rest mass of a proton, as said previous, 2*938 Mev. What I am trying to understand here is why the invariant mass here is the sum of two masses, when in most cases, invariant mass is not linear, you can't add two masses and conserve the sum.

Physics news on Phys.org
iacephysics said:
Ok, when you use positrons to shoot at stationary electrons in a collider with enough energy so that you make a pair of proton and antiproton. The total energy of the pair would be E = T + MC^2, where M is the total invariance mass of the pair, namely 2*938Mev, or I can use E^2 = (pc)^2 + (Mc^2)^2, and M here is still the invariant mass. I got the correct answer using M = 2 times the mass of the rest mass of a proton, as said previous, 2*938 Mev. What I am trying to understand here is why the invariant mass here is the sum of two masses, when in most cases, invariant mass is not linear, you can't add two masses and conserve the sum.
I am not sure what you are asking.
E=T+2Mc^2 is just a definition of T. It is appropriate to use the sum of the masses there because E=2Mc^2 when T=0.
In E^2=(pc)^2+(Mc^2)^2, the M is the mass of one proton.

Related to Confused about invariant mass in particle collision

1. What is invariant mass in particle collision?

Invariant mass is a physical property of a particle or system of particles that remains constant despite changes in the reference frame. It is a fundamental concept in particle physics and is used to describe the mass of a particle or system of particles in a way that is independent of the observer's reference frame.

2. How is invariant mass calculated in particle collision?

Invariant mass is calculated using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This equation relates the energy (E) of a particle or system of particles to its mass (m) and the speed of light (c). By measuring the energy and momentum of the particles before and after a collision, scientists can calculate the invariant mass of the system.

3. Why is invariant mass important in particle collision?

Invariant mass is important because it allows scientists to study the properties of particles and systems of particles without being influenced by the observer's reference frame. This helps to accurately measure and understand the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions, leading to advancements in our understanding of the universe.

4. How does the concept of invariant mass relate to the theory of relativity?

The concept of invariant mass is closely related to Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity. Invariant mass is a way to describe the mass of a particle or system of particles that remains constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of invariant mass in particle collision?

Invariant mass has various real-world applications in particle physics research, including the study of subatomic particles and their interactions, the development of new technologies such as medical imaging and particle accelerators, and the search for new particles and phenomena that could help us better understand the universe.