Confused about future in academics and career

In summary, the individual is a senior in high school seeking guidance for their future major and job. They feel academically strong but lack passion for any specific field. They have a strong interest in dinosaurs and their evolution, but do not see this reflected in college. The individual may benefit from a liberal arts education to explore different fields before declaring a major. They should also accept that not everything in movies is based on reality and that some things may be more complex and less exciting in real life.
bcheero
Hey everyone. I'm a senior in high school and need some serious guidance for my future major and job. I can say that I'm a very good student, academically, yet I lack the passion for anything right now. I want my knowledge to be powerful, on a level where it impacts the world.

There are very few things I get excited about. Back when I was really young, dinosaurs were amazing and the Jurassic Park movies played a huge role in exciting me for that. The most fascinating history of the Earth occurred during that period and paleontology revealed a myriad of information about these ancient creatures. I don't know if this says anything, but I have a ton of fun learning about dinosaurs and seeing how evolution gave way to these magnificent creatures. However, I rarely see any of this in college...so I have no idea what to do.

What does this say about my future in college?

Physics news on Phys.org
bcheero said:
What does this say about my future in college?

You should accept that you won't change the world immediately, and that a lot of things that seem interesting in the movies are either a) not based on reality or b) a lot more mind-numbingly complex and/or boring.

It also seems like you'd benefit from some sort of liberal arts setting in which you can explore a variety of different fields. At the least you should be going somewhere that doesn't require declaring a major right away.

Related to Confused about future in academics and career

1. What should I do if I am unsure about my future in academics and career?

It is normal to feel confused about your academic and career path. The best thing you can do is to explore your interests and strengths, research different career options, and seek guidance from a career counselor or mentor.

2. How can I determine which academic or career path is right for me?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question as everyone's interests, values, and goals are different. However, you can take career assessments, job shadowing, and informational interviews to gain insight into different fields and determine what aligns with your strengths and interests.

3. Is it okay to change my mind about my academic and career goals?

Absolutely! It is common for individuals to change their mind about their academic and career goals as they gain more experience and knowledge. It is important to be open to new opportunities and make adjustments to your plans as needed.

4. Should I prioritize passion or practicality when making academic and career decisions?

This is a personal decision that ultimately depends on your individual circumstances. It is important to find a balance between pursuing your passions and considering the practicalities of a chosen career path, such as job prospects and salary potential.

5. How can I overcome the fear of making the wrong academic or career choice?

Fear of making the wrong choice is natural, but it should not hold you back from exploring your options and pursuing your goals. Remember that it is okay to make mistakes and learn from them. Seek support from friends, family, and mentors and trust in your ability to make the best decision for yourself.