Confused about Chemical Q Decay Calculation?

This will give you the correct answer for the original amount of Chemical Q that was buried. In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the original amount of Chemical Q that was buried based on the given information of its decay rate and current remaining mass. It is determined that the correct equation should be (Q)(2/3)^(x/7) and the answer is approximately 50583 grams.
helpm3pl3ase
I have a question Iam stuck on. I was wondering if i did the right calculations. Please let me know:

Through decay, Chemical Q loses one-third of its mass every 7 years.
Twenty-five years ago, a container of Chemical Q was buried. The EPA has
just dug it up and found 1,000 grams remaining. How much Chemical Q was
originally buried?

1000=(Q)(1/3)^(x/7) when x = 25

1000=(Q)(1/3)^(25/7)

Q = 1000/(3)^(3/7)/81

Q = 50583?

I am not sure if I did this correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
If it loses 1/3 of its mass every 7 years, then 2/3 of its mass is left at the end of 7 years, and (2/3)^2 at the end of 14 years, etc. I think you used 1/3 where you should have used 2/3...?

hmm I don't really understand that?? The question called for one third. Iam not understanding wher eyou get 2/3

If it loses 1/3 then you have 2/3 left. so every 7 years the new amount would equal 2/3 the old amount. that's why the equation is
(Q)(2/3)^(x/7) - you're doing (Q)(2/3 * 2/3 * 2/3 * ... x/7 times)
in other words, to take away 1/3 each time you multiply by 2/3

O alright.. I get it now. Thank you

So everything thing else is correct, but instead of 1/3 use 2/3?

Yes, use 2/3 instead of 1/3.

Related to Confused about Chemical Q Decay Calculation?

1) What is chemical Q decay?

Chemical Q decay is a process in which a radioactive substance spontaneously breaks down and releases energy in the form of radiation.

2) How is chemical Q decay calculated?

The rate of chemical Q decay can be calculated using the equation: N(t) = N0 x e^(-λt), where N(t) represents the number of undecayed atoms at a given time, N0 represents the initial number of undecayed atoms, λ is the decay constant, and t is the time in seconds.

3) What is the half-life of a substance undergoing chemical Q decay?

The half-life of a substance undergoing chemical Q decay is the amount of time it takes for half of the initial amount of the substance to decay. It is a constant specific to each radioactive substance and can be calculated using the equation: t1/2 = ln(2) / λ.

4) How does the rate of chemical Q decay change over time?

The rate of chemical Q decay decreases over time as the amount of undecayed atoms decreases. This is due to the fact that as more atoms decay, there are fewer remaining atoms to undergo decay. The decay rate follows an exponential decay curve.

5) What are some real-world applications of chemical Q decay?

Chemical Q decay has many important applications in fields such as medicine, geology, and archaeology. It is used in radiocarbon dating to determine the age of artifacts and in nuclear medicine for the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. It is also used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity.