Conformal symmetry group for R(1,3)

In summary: There is no central extension, the commutators in the Lie algebra would be the same for any central extension. However, the chiral charge would be an extra element that would be present.
Jim Kata
I'm trying to derive the lie algebra for the conformal symmetry group and was curious if anyone could help?

I'll go through what I have and highlight the parts I"m unsure of

[tex]
ds^2 = \bar g_{\alpha \beta } (\bar x)d\bar x^\alpha d\bar x^\beta = g_{\alpha \beta } (x)dx^\alpha dx^\beta
[/tex]

doing coordinate change [tex]
\bar x^\alpha = x^\alpha + \varepsilon \xi ^\alpha (x)
[/tex]

where [tex] \varepsilon [/tex] is an infinitesimal and [tex] \xi [/tex] is a killing vector.

[tex]
ds^2 = (g_{\alpha \beta } (x) + g_{\alpha \beta ,\gamma } \varepsilon \xi ^\gamma + \delta g_{\alpha \beta } )(\delta _\mu ^\alpha + \varepsilon \xi _\mu ^\alpha )(\delta _\tau ^\beta + \varepsilon \xi _\tau ^\beta )dx^\mu dx^\tau
[/tex]

if nothing is to change, you get the requirement

[tex]
0 = \delta g_{\alpha \beta } dx^\alpha dx^\beta = - \varepsilon (\xi _{\alpha ;\beta } + \xi _{\beta ;\alpha } )
[/tex]

Assuming your on the light cone [tex]
g_{\alpha \beta } dx^\alpha dx^\beta = 0
[/tex], you can say [tex]
\xi _{\alpha ;\beta } + \xi _{\beta ;\alpha } = \lambda g_{\alpha \beta } [/tex]

( I'm not sure why this last equation is true. Wouldn't any symmetric rank two tensor on light cone work?)

This differential equation can be solved by looking at the power series and for dimensions greater or equal to 3 you get the answer:

[tex]
\xi ^\alpha = x^\alpha + \omega ^{\alpha \beta } x_\beta + a^\alpha + \lambda x^\alpha + \rho ^\alpha x^\mu x_\mu - 2x^\alpha \rho ^\mu x_\mu
[/tex]

(I don't understand why the power series terminates after the second derivative term for dimensions 3 and higher?)

an infinitesimal group element is
[tex]
U(1 + \omega ,a,\lambda ,\rho ) = 1 + (i/2)J^{\alpha \beta } \omega _{\alpha \beta } + iP^\alpha a_\alpha + i\lambda D + i\rho _\alpha K^\alpha
[/tex]

Now I should be able to use the composition of coordinates and infinitesimal group element to derive the lie algebra, but I can't seem to get it to work. I can do it for the Lorentz group and even the intrinsically projective Galilean group, but can't make this work. How do I go about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
great stuff sam,

I read your posts and they are a treasure trove, but I was still curious can you derive the lie algebra the unitary representation way without the postulate that the conformal generators transform like a lorentz vectors? I should be able to do it solely off of the composition law of the coordinate change right? But when I try to work it out, I run into problems with the conformal term. Any help?

Lorentz covariace was an essential part of the algebriac method which I was doing, see EX(5.5). But yes, you should be able to do it, all you need is correct multiplication law. For the full conformal group, this law is a bit complicated because of the non-linear nature of the conformal transformation.This is why I was treating subgroups of of the conformal group. Any way, if you could show me your work, I might be able to tell you what to do about what.

regards

sam

Sam, let me ask a follow up question that I didn't see in your paper. Is there a central extension to the lie algebra for the conformal group? I was looking at Ferrara and Fayet and they mention this thing called the chiral charge, and it looks like a central extension. If there is one in which commutators does it appear?

Related to Conformal symmetry group for R(1,3)

1. What is a conformal symmetry group for R(1,3)?

A conformal symmetry group for R(1,3) refers to a set of transformations that preserve the angles between points in a four-dimensional space with one time dimension and three spatial dimensions. This group includes rotations, translations, and dilations, as well as special conformal transformations.

2. What is the significance of conformal symmetry in physics?

Conformal symmetry is important in physics because it allows for the study of the behavior of physical systems under transformations that preserve angles. This can be useful in understanding the symmetries and properties of physical laws and systems.

3. How is conformal symmetry related to special relativity?

Conformal symmetry is closely related to special relativity, which is a theory that describes the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. In fact, the conformal symmetry group for R(1,3) is a subgroup of the Lorentz group, which is the group of transformations that preserve the laws of special relativity.

4. Can conformal symmetry be broken?

Yes, conformal symmetry can be broken in certain physical systems. This can occur when the underlying symmetries of the system are not preserved under certain transformations or when there are interactions between different parts of the system that disrupt the symmetry.

5. How is conformal symmetry used in theoretical physics?

Conformal symmetry is used in theoretical physics as a tool for studying and understanding physical systems. It can be used to simplify mathematical calculations and to identify patterns and symmetries in physical laws. Additionally, conformal symmetry is often used to develop new theories and models in physics.