Confirmation in my solution to finding these roots

• Thread starter subopolois
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the roots of a quadratic equation using the quadratic formula. The formula is x = (-b +/- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac))/(2a), and the correct solution for the given equation is x = 2-2sqrt2i and x = 2+2sqrt2i. The importance of using parentheses when typing mathematical expressions is also emphasized.
subopolois

Homework Statement

find the roots of:
3x^2 − 4x + 2 = 0

Homework Equations

quadratic equation

The Attempt at a Solution

4+/- sqrt16-24/6

4+/-sqrt-8/6

4+/- isqrt4 sqrt2

4+/-2isqrt2/6
simplify a bit

x= 2-2sqrt2i
x= 2+2sqrt2i

does this seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you're typing mathematical expressions on a single line, you need to use parentheses to group things appropriately.

For your equation, 3x^2 -4x + 2 = 0 (a quadratic equation), you can use the quadratic formula:
x = (-b [tex]\pm[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{b^2 - 4*a*c}[/tex])/(2*a).

Without the LaTeX coding, this can be written as

x = (-b +/- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac))/(2a)

What you have in your first line after applying the quadratic formula is this:
4+/- sqrt16-24/6

If you had used parentheses, you would have had a better chance of getting the right answer. How about giving them a try?

I cannot confirm or deny the accuracy of your solution without further information. In order to find the roots of a quadratic equation, the quadratic formula can be used, as you have correctly stated. However, it is important to check your work and ensure that the solutions you have found satisfy the original equation. Additionally, it may be helpful to provide the steps you took to arrive at your solution, so that others can understand and verify your process.

Related to Confirmation in my solution to finding these roots

1. How do you confirm your solution for finding roots?

There are several ways to confirm the solution for finding roots. One method is to substitute the roots into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another method is to graph the equation and see if the roots correspond to the x-intercepts. Additionally, you can use mathematical principles such as the quadratic formula or factoring to confirm the roots.

2. Can there be more than one solution for finding roots?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions for finding roots depending on the type of equation. For example, a quadratic equation can have two solutions, while a cubic equation can have three solutions. It is also possible for an equation to have no real solutions.

3. What if the solution for finding roots is a complex number?

If the solution for finding roots is a complex number, it means that the equation has no real solutions. Complex numbers are a combination of real and imaginary numbers and cannot be graphed on a traditional x-y plane. However, complex numbers can still be used in mathematical calculations.

4. How can I check if my solution for finding roots is correct without graphing or using mathematical principles?

One way to check if your solution for finding roots is correct is by using a calculator. You can plug in the roots and see if the resulting value is close to 0. If it is, then your solution is likely correct. Another method is to ask a peer or teacher to check your work and confirm your solution.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when finding roots?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that can occur when finding roots. These include incorrect calculations, forgetting to consider the sign of the root, and missing solutions. It is important to double-check your work and consider all possible solutions when finding roots to avoid these mistakes.