Setting Up a Webpage: Step-By-Step Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter plus
  • Start date
In summary, buying a domain name is just the first step in creating a website. After purchasing a domain name, you need to buy server space and then register the server location with the domain name provider. The domain name is simply a way to direct people to the separate server space. It is important to have knowledge of Java or PowerPoint to effectively build a website, unless the server has advanced site building software.
plus
I have some experience with html but am no expert. However, I know nothing about the process of buying a domain and then putting content onto a site.

Clearly you can buy a domain from a variety of sources.

How do you put content on?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The quick answer:

When you buy a domain, that is just the DNS name that maps to an IP address. What you do is buy server space, then after you buy your domain name you use the service you bought your domain name from to register the server location you bought to the name you bought. So...

If you buy www.tiddlewinks.com[/url] (dunno where that came from) and get server space at [PLAIN]www.bluemountain.com/serverspace, [Broken] you then go back to where you bought the domain name and tell them you want your domain name to forward people to www.bluemountian.com/serverspace. [Broken]

In other words, a domain name is not a place, it is just a name to direct people to space you buy seperately.

Hopefully I have been clear enough...

Last edited by a moderator:
But unless the server has advanve Site buildign S ware i suggest brushing up on either java or i think Power point has something to the same effect

1. What is the first step in setting up a webpage?

The first step in setting up a webpage is to choose a domain name and web hosting service. This will give you a unique web address and provide a place for your webpage to be stored online.

2. Do I need to know how to code to create a webpage?

No, there are many website builders and content management systems (CMS) available that allow you to create a webpage without coding knowledge. These platforms provide templates and drag-and-drop tools to help you design your webpage.

3. What content should I include on my webpage?

The content of your webpage will depend on its purpose. Generally, you should include a clear and concise description of your business or personal brand, contact information, and any relevant images or videos. You can also add additional pages for products or services, a blog, or a portfolio.

4. How do I make my webpage accessible to others?

Once your webpage is created, you will need to publish it to the internet. This can be done through your web hosting service or through the website builder or CMS you used to create your webpage. You can also use search engine optimization (SEO) techniques to improve your webpage's visibility on search engines.

5. How do I maintain my webpage?

To maintain your webpage, you should regularly update the content, images, and any other information to keep it relevant and engaging. You should also regularly check for broken links and fix them, as well as monitor website traffic and make any necessary changes to improve user experience.