Confidence Interval for Mean $\mu$: Let $X_1, X_2, \dots, X_n$

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a confidence interval for the mean $\mu$ using a random sample of data. It mentions the use of the sample mean $\overline{X}$ and the standard deviation $\sigma$ to calculate the interval. It also touches on the concept of confidence level and the value of $k$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Let $X_1, X_2, \dots, X_n$ a random sample with $E(X_i)=\mu$, $Var(X_i)=\sigma^2 \forall i$. For $0<a<0.5$:

show that for any $k \in [0,1]$, the interval
$$\left( \overline{X}-z_{k=a} \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}, \overline{X}+z_{(1-k)=a} \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}\right)$$
is a 100(1-a)% confidence interval for the mean $\mu$.

How could we do this? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Let $X_1, X_2, \dots, X_n$ a random sample with $E(X_i)=\mu$, $Var(X_i)=\sigma^2 \forall i$. For $0<a<0.5$:

show that for any $k \in [0,1]$, the interval
$$\left( \overline{X}-z_{k=a} \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}, \overline{X}+z_{(1-k)=a} \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}\right)$$
is a 100(1-a)% confidence interval for the mean $\mu$.

How could we do this? (Thinking)

Hey! (Smile)

What is $k$? And what is $z_{k=a}$? (Wondering)

Related to Confidence Interval for Mean $\mu$: Let $X_1, X_2, \dots, X_n$

What is a confidence interval for mean $\mu$?

A confidence interval for mean $\mu$ is a range of values that is likely to contain the true population mean with a certain level of confidence. It is calculated using sample data and is used to estimate the true population mean.

How is a confidence interval for mean $\mu$ calculated?

To calculate a confidence interval for mean $\mu$, you will need the sample mean, sample standard deviation, sample size, and the desired level of confidence. The formula for the confidence interval is: sample mean +/- critical value * (sample standard deviation/sqrt(sample size)). The critical value is determined based on the desired level of confidence and the degrees of freedom.

What is the purpose of a confidence interval for mean $\mu$?

The purpose of a confidence interval for mean $\mu$ is to estimate the true population mean with a certain level of confidence. It allows us to make inferences about the population mean based on a sample of data.

What is the relationship between sample size and the width of a confidence interval for mean $\mu$?

As sample size increases, the width of the confidence interval for mean $\mu$ decreases. This means that a larger sample size leads to a more precise estimate of the population mean with a smaller margin of error.

What is the significance of the level of confidence in a confidence interval for mean $\mu$?

The level of confidence in a confidence interval for mean $\mu$ represents the probability that the true population mean falls within the calculated interval. For example, a 95% confidence interval means that there is a 95% chance that the true population mean falls within the calculated interval.