Conductors and electric field problem

In summary, when two opposite charges are placed within an infinite plane conductor, the electric field lines are zero inside the conductor and resemble a dipole outside of the conductor. This is because the charges cancel each other's fields, but there is still a non-zero field outside of the conductor due to the dipole effect.
patm95

Homework Statement

What would the electric field lines look like if two opposite charges were placed within an infinite plane conductor?

Homework Equations

None that I am aware of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that electric field is 0 inside of the conductor. I know that if a single charge was in the conductor, that the electric field would be the same as the charge would normally emanate outside of the conductor. However I am having trouble visualizing what two opposite charges electric field would look like. Originally I thought that the electric field would look almost like a magnetic field due to the two opposite charges. I also wonder though if the two charges would cancel and there be no electric field outside of the conductor.

Physics news on Phys.org

The charges of a dipole cancel yet it has a field at almost all points in space.

Ok. That seems to make sense to me. That seems more in line with my original train of thought. Thanks!

Related to Conductors and electric field problem

1. What is a conductor?

A conductor is a material that allows electrical charges to flow through it easily. This is because it has free electrons that are able to move around and carry the charge.

2. How does a conductor behave in an electric field?

In an electric field, a conductor will redistribute its free electrons to create an electric field that is equal and opposite to the applied field. This results in the electric field inside the conductor being zero, and all excess charges reside on the surface of the conductor.

3. What is the difference between a conductor and an insulator?

A conductor allows the flow of electrical charges, while an insulator does not. This is because insulators have tightly bound electrons that are not free to move and carry a charge.

4. What is the purpose of a conductor in an electric circuit?

A conductor is used in an electric circuit to allow the flow of current from one point to another. This is important in order to power devices and complete the circuit.

5. Can a conductor have an electric field inside it?

No, a conductor cannot have an electric field inside it. As mentioned before, the excess charges on the surface of the conductor create an electric field that cancels out any external electric field. Therefore, the electric field inside a conductor is always zero.