Conductivity homework problem help

In summary, the conversation is about finding the temperature at which a carbon resistor has a resistance of 995 ohms, given that it has a resistance of 1000 ohms at 20 degrees. The question also asks for the conductivity at the new temperature. The conversation also discusses the lack of a textbook for the course and suggests using online resources and older editions of textbooks to supplement learning. An equation relating resistance, resistivity, and conductivity is mentioned, but it is pointed out that the "conductivity" should be replaced with "resistivity".
weston_sagle

Homework Statement

At what temperature does a carbon resistor have a resistance of 995 ohms, if it has a resistance of 1000 ohms at 20 degrees? What is its conductivity at the new temperature?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you have any equations that relate the change of some property (e.g. resistivity) of a conductor with temperature changes?

Well, the situation isn't ideal. We recently got a new teacher, after our old teacher canceled 2 weeks of classes. Now we are trying to catch up so we have an assignment on material we haven't covered. I also have no textbook for the class. I did google searches but could only find R= conductivity*L/A but I don't have length or area.

Check out this link then:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/restmp.html

Then think about the connections between resistance, resistivity, and conductivity.

I don't understand why there is no text for the course. Is this a college-level course? There are many older editions of quality texts that you can get dirt cheap through Amazon.com, for example.

Also, the equation you quoted in your previous post should have "conductivity" replaced with "resistivity", according to one of my texts.

Related to Conductivity homework problem help

What is conductivity?

Conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity.

How is conductivity measured?

Conductivity is measured in siemens per meter (S/m) or mhos per meter (mho/m). It can also be measured in units of ohms per centimeter (Ω⋅cm).

What factors affect conductivity?

The factors that affect conductivity include temperature, the type of material, and the concentration of ions in a solution.

What is the difference between electrical and thermal conductivity?

Electrical conductivity refers to the ability of a material to conduct electricity, while thermal conductivity refers to the ability to conduct heat. However, both are related as materials with high electrical conductivity also tend to have high thermal conductivity.

How can I improve the conductivity of a material?

The conductivity of a material can be improved by increasing the concentration of ions in a solution, increasing the temperature, or using a material with higher conductivity. In some cases, impurities or defects in the material can also affect conductivity and can be minimized through purification processes.