Conductive heat transfer through basement wall

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the amount of time required for one dollar's worth of energy to be conducted through a concrete wall in an electrically heated home. The conversation mentions using the equation q=KAdeltaT/L and a range of possible k values for concrete. After some calculations and discussion, it is determined that the correct answer is 10.52 hours.
omc1

Homework Statement

In an electrically heated home, the temperature of the ground in contact with a concrete basement wall is 13.8oC. The temperature at the inside surface of the wall is 20.8oC. The wall is 0.118m thick and has an area of 9.43m2. Assume one kilowatt*hour of electrical energy costs $0.10. How many hours are required for one dollar's worth of energy to be conducted through the wall?

Homework Equations

q=KAdeltaT/L

The Attempt at a Solution

(1.7)*(9.43)*(20.8-13.8)/0.118=950.99 W $1=10000Whr
10000/950.99=1052 hrs...not working though?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you find your k value? And is it in the correct units?

-Mark

PS: You did mean to write 10.52 hrs I hope?

yes i mean to write that, I got 1.7 from online source, but someone else also used 1.5 but neither of those works?

I would first clarify some assumptions and gather more information to accurately answer this question. Some clarifying questions I would ask are:

1. Is the basement wall made of pure concrete or are there other materials involved? Different materials have different thermal conductivities, which would affect the rate of heat transfer.

2. Is the basement wall insulated? If so, what is the insulation material and its thickness? Insulation can significantly reduce conductive heat transfer through the wall.

3. How is the electric heating system set up in the home? Is it solely for heating the basement or does it also heat other parts of the house? This information would affect the amount of energy used for heating the basement and therefore the time required for one dollar's worth of energy to be conducted through the wall.

Assuming that the wall is made of pure concrete and is not insulated, and that the electric heating system is only used for the basement, here is my attempt at a solution:

Given:
- Temperature of ground in contact with wall (T1) = 13.8oC
- Temperature at inside surface of wall (T2) = 20.8oC
- Wall thickness (L) = 0.118m
- Wall area (A) = 9.43m2
- Cost of 1 kWh = $0.10

To find:
- Time (t) required for 1 dollar's worth of energy to be conducted through the wall

Solution:
1. Calculate the temperature difference (deltaT):
deltaT = T2 - T1 = 20.8 - 13.8 = 7oC

2. Calculate the thermal conductivity of concrete (K):
According to Engineering Toolbox, the thermal conductivity of concrete ranges from 0.8 to 1.7 W/mK. For this calculation, I will use the average value of 1.25 W/mK.
K = 1.25 W/mK

3. Calculate the rate of heat transfer (q):
q = K * A * deltaT / L
q = (1.25) * (9.43) * (7) / (0.118)
q = 744.49 W

4. Calculate the energy used in one hour (E):
E = q * t
E = 744.49 * t

5. Set E equal to 1 kWh and solve for t:
1 = 744

Related to Conductive heat transfer through basement wall

1. What is conductive heat transfer?

Conductive heat transfer is a process in which heat is transferred through a material by direct contact. When there is a temperature difference between two objects, heat energy will flow from the warmer object to the cooler object through the process of conduction.

2. How does conductive heat transfer through basement walls occur?

Conductive heat transfer through basement walls occurs when there is a temperature difference between the inside and outside of the basement. Heat from the warmer outside environment will transfer through the walls and into the cooler basement, leading to an increase in temperature inside the basement.

3. What factors affect conductive heat transfer through basement walls?

The factors that affect conductive heat transfer through basement walls include the thickness and material of the walls, the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the basement, and the insulation levels of the walls. Other factors such as humidity and airflow can also impact conductive heat transfer.

4. How can I reduce conductive heat transfer through my basement walls?

There are several ways to reduce conductive heat transfer through basement walls, such as adding insulation to the walls, sealing any cracks or gaps where air can enter, and installing a vapor barrier. Additionally, using energy-efficient materials and designing for proper ventilation can also help reduce conductive heat transfer.

5. What are the implications of high levels of conductive heat transfer through basement walls?

High levels of conductive heat transfer through basement walls can lead to increased energy consumption and higher energy bills. It can also make the basement uncomfortable to use, especially during extreme temperatures. In some cases, it can also contribute to moisture issues and mold growth.