Conduction Angle of a Diode Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving proving diode conduction and determining the conduction angle. The equation Vo = Vpsin(wt) and the diode's turn on voltage of Von are given as information. The person has attempted to use these variables in various formulas but is unsure of how to determine the conduction angle. They mention that the diode will only conduct when Vs >= Von and ask for clarification on the value of Vs that will cause the diode to conduct.
NBaumbick

Homework Statement

I am trying to prove that the diode conducts between the expressions shown here:
20171001_142355.jpg
20171001_142405.jpg

Homework Equations

I know that Vo = Vpsin(wt) and the only information i know about the diode is it has a turn on voltage of Von.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to plug the variables available into various formulas, I know there will only be output voltage when vs >= Von and from the looks of it Vp = 10 V and w = 1. With this I cannot find a way to determine the conduction angle though.

Physics news on Phys.org
NBaumbick said:
I know there will only be output voltage when vs >= Von and
Yes.
So at what value of Vs will the diode "begin" to conduct? Put that value in the given equation of Vs.

Likes NBaumbick

Related to Conduction Angle of a Diode Circuit

1. What is the conduction angle of a diode circuit?

The conduction angle of a diode circuit is the amount of time during each cycle of an alternating current (AC) signal that the diode allows current to flow in the forward direction. This is typically expressed as a percentage of the total cycle time.

2. How is the conduction angle of a diode circuit calculated?

The conduction angle can be calculated by dividing the time the diode is conducting by the total cycle time and multiplying by 100%. This can be simplified to the ratio of the forward bias voltage to the peak voltage of the AC signal.

3. What is the significance of the conduction angle in diode circuits?

The conduction angle is important because it determines the amount of power that can be delivered by a diode circuit. A larger conduction angle means more power can be delivered, while a smaller conduction angle means less power can be delivered.

4. How does the conduction angle affect the output of a diode circuit?

The conduction angle directly affects the output of a diode circuit by controlling the amount of time current is allowed to flow in the forward direction. A larger conduction angle results in a higher output voltage, while a smaller conduction angle results in a lower output voltage.

5. What factors can affect the conduction angle of a diode circuit?

The conduction angle of a diode circuit can be affected by the input voltage, the load resistance, and the characteristics of the diode itself. Additionally, temperature and other environmental factors may also play a role in the conduction angle of a diode circuit.