Conducting rail ciruit, against gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a device pointed vertically with a moving bar dropping. The known variables are R and B, and the goal is to find the current, I, that can counteract gravity and prevent acceleration past a certain velocity. The equations used in the attempt at a solution include Fb=qv x B, R = delta V/I, Fg = mg, and I = p/delta V. The conversation also mentions a formula for magnetic levitation that relates magnetic field strength and gravity, F= IlB=mg, which can be used to determine the necessary current. The person is seeking advice and clarification on the formula and their approach to the problem.
Frostfire

Homework Statement

So my textbook has a lot of example of conducting rails moving horizontally with unknown variables of F and B, but how would you approach a problem that has such a device pointed vertically with the moving bar droping? let's say R and B are known and we need to find I(current) sufficient to counteract gravity so it doesn't accelerate past a velocity required to generate that current.

Homework Equations

Fb=qv x B
R = delta V/I
Fg = mg (call the mass of the rod m )
I = p/delta V

The Attempt at a Solution

I played with it, but not sure if I am right.The part I am stuck on is what relation of the magnetic field do I set equal to Fg

is it Fg= qV x B

Physics news on Phys.org
So I found a formula for magnetic levitation that allows me to relate magnetic field strength and gravity

F= IlB=mg

if I am right this allows me to determine the current needed to counteract gravity.Does this sound right? Anybody no where that formula is derived from?

Can somebody give me some advice here? Its kind of hard to ask questions that aren't in the book, if your unsure of what your doing :rolleyes:

Related to Conducting rail ciruit, against gravity

1. How does a conducting rail circuit work against gravity?

A conducting rail circuit works against gravity by using an electromagnetic force to push a train or other object upwards. This force is created by passing an electric current through a series of conducting rails and a moving object, creating a magnetic field that propels the object upwards.

2. What materials are needed for a conducting rail circuit?

The materials needed for a conducting rail circuit include conducting rails, a power source, an object to be propelled, and a control system to regulate the electric current. The conducting rails are typically made of metal, such as copper or aluminum, and the power source can be a battery or an electrical outlet.

3. Can a conducting rail circuit be used for transportation?

Yes, conducting rail circuits can be used for transportation. They are commonly used in systems like maglev trains, which use magnetic levitation to propel a train along a track without any physical contact, resulting in faster and smoother travel.

4. What are the advantages of using a conducting rail circuit for transportation?

There are several advantages of using a conducting rail circuit for transportation. These include efficient use of energy, faster speeds, reduced friction and wear on the track and train, and the ability to operate in extreme weather conditions.

5. Are there any safety concerns with conducting rail circuits?

As with any technology, there are safety concerns with conducting rail circuits. These include the risk of electrical shocks, potential malfunctions or failures, and the need for proper maintenance and regulation to ensure safe operation. However, when designed and operated correctly, conducting rail circuits can be a safe and efficient form of transportation.