Conducting and nonconducting cylinders; Finding electric field.

In summary, an extremely long, solid, nonconducting cylinder of charge density p = kr, where k = +2.0 microCoulomb/m^4 and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder, is surrounded by a solid, conducting, cylindrical shell of inner radius R2 = 75 cm, outer radius R3 = 90 cm, and linear charge density lambda = -1.05 microC/m. Using the equation for electric field (E = q/(epsilon nought times dA)), the electric field at a point 40 cm from the center of the cylinder can be calculated by first finding the total charge (Qtotal) of the cylinder (using p = kr^2 and Vtotal =
physicsap
1. An extremely long, solid, nonconducting cylinder of radius R1 = 50 cm has charge density given by p = kr, where k = +2.0 microCoulomb/m^4 and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder. It is surrounded by a solid, conducting, cylindrical shell of inner radius R2 = 75 cm, outer radius R3 = 90 cm, and linear charge density lambda = -1.05 microC/m. The cylinder and the shell have the same geometric center.

Determine the electric field at a point 40 cm from the center of the cylinder.

2. epsilon nought = 8.85 X 10^-12 C^2 m^-2 N^-1
dq = p dV
dq = lambda dx
A of cylinder = 2pi r L + 2pi r^2
V of cylinder = pi r^2 L
Integral for an enclosed surface --> (Integral) E dA = magnetic flux = (q enclosed)/epsilon nought

3. I did p = kR1 = Q(total)/(Vtotal) for the first cylinder. I'm ignoring the cylindrical shell because the question is asking for 40 cm of radius.

So, I got Qtotal = 7.85 X 10^-7 times the unknown length of the cylinder.

I do Qtotal / R1^3 = q (for r = 0.4) / .4^3
So, q = 4.02 X 10^-7 times L

So, Electric field = q/(epsilon nought time dA) = q/(epsilon nought times 2pi L)
E = 7.23 X 10^3 N/c

Although, my friends tell me that the answer is E = 1.2 X 10^4 N/C

I'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere or I messed the whole thing up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, great job on attempting the problem and showing your work! It looks like you have the right approach, but there are a few small mistakes that may have led to the discrepancy in your answer.

1. In your first step, you correctly calculate the total charge (Qtotal) of the cylinder using the charge density (p) and the volume of the cylinder (Vtotal). However, you forgot to include the factor of r in the equation for p. It should be p = kr^2, as the charge density varies with distance from the center of the cylinder. This small mistake may have led to a slightly incorrect value for Qtotal, which could affect your final answer.

2. In your second step, you correctly set up the equation for the electric field (E) using the charge (q) and the area (dA). However, you forgot to include the factor of r^2 in the denominator of the equation for q. It should be q = 4.02 X 10^-7 times L times r^2, as the charge at a distance r from the center of the cylinder is proportional to r^2. This mistake may have led to an incorrect value for q, which again could affect your final answer.

By correcting these two mistakes, I get a value of E = 1.18 X 10^4 N/C, which is very close to the answer your friends gave you. So it seems like you were on the right track, just a couple of small errors in the calculations. Keep up the good work!

Related to Conducting and nonconducting cylinders; Finding electric field.

1. What is the difference between conducting and nonconducting cylinders?

Conducting cylinders are made of materials that allow electric charges to flow freely, while nonconducting cylinders do not allow this flow and are also known as insulators.

2. How do you determine the electric field around a conducting cylinder?

The electric field around a conducting cylinder can be determined using Gauss's law, which states that the electric field at a point outside a charged conductor is equal to the charge density divided by the permittivity of free space.

3. What factors can affect the electric field around a nonconducting cylinder?

The electric field around a nonconducting cylinder can be affected by the material of the cylinder, the charge distribution on the surface of the cylinder, and the distance from the cylinder.

4. How do you find the electric field at a specific point between two cylinders?

To find the electric field at a point between two cylinders, you can use the superposition principle, which states that the total electric field at a point is the sum of the electric fields from each individual cylinder.

5. Can the electric field inside a conducting cylinder be zero?

No, the electric field inside a conducting cylinder cannot be zero because the charge distribution on the surface of the cylinder will always create an electric field inside the cylinder. However, the electric field can be significantly smaller compared to the electric field outside the cylinder.