Radioactive Decay: Calculating Age of Archaeological Sample

In summary, Libby's observation of the uniform radioactivity in the world's living cycle led to the development of the radioactive carbon dating method. This method uses the disintegration rate of C-14, produced by cosmic radiation, to determine the age of archaeological samples. The disintegration rate decreases by a factor of 1/2 during one half-life, which in this case is 5730 years. By calculating the number of half-lives it took for the disintegration rate to go from 15.0 to 0.03, it can be determined that the sample is approximately 51374 years old. This falls within the range of accuracy for C-14 dating, which is up to 50,000 years.
frankR
Libby's observation that all the carbon in the world's living cycle is kept uniformly radioactive through the production of C-14 by cosmic radiation led to his development of the radioactive carbon dating method. Samples of carbon in the life cycle have been found to have a disintegration rate of 15.0 disintegrations per gram per minute. Upon death of the living organism, the life cycle ceases and the C-14 in the material decays with a half-life of 5730 years. If an archaeological sample was determined to have a disintegration rate of 0.03 disintegrations per gram per minute, how old is the sample?

This problem is killing me.

So far the real thing I've been able to find is how long the sample has been dead:

t = ln(2 &lambda No)/lambda

No = the initial number of radioactive nuclei

Can I get a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you know that the total C-14 content decreases by a factor 1/2 during one half-life. This is of course also true for the disintegration rate. Now, you know that the disintegration rate has gone down from 15.0 to 0.03. How many half-lifes did that take?

Originally posted by arcnets
Well, you know that the total C-14 content decreases by a factor 1/2 during one half-life. This is of course also true for the disintegration rate. Now, you know that the disintegration rate has gone down from 15.0 to 0.03. How many half-lifes did that take?

That's an interesting way to look at the problem.

I'll see what I can do with that.

Thanks

I get:

t = 1.62 x 1012s

Is this correct?

Thanks

Edit:

Which is 51374 years.

I just looked up how old C-14 dating is good too. It said 50,000 years. So it looks like I'm right.

This problem was easy, I don't know why I struggled with it so much!

Last edited:
Originally posted by frankR
Is this correct?
Yes.

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atom spontaneously breaks down into a more stable atom, releasing energy in the form of radiation.

2. How is radioactive decay used to calculate the age of an archaeological sample?

Radioactive decay is used to calculate the age of an archaeological sample by measuring the amount of radioactive isotope present in the sample and comparing it to the amount of stable isotope. By knowing the rate of decay for a specific isotope, scientists can determine how long it has been since the sample was formed.

3. What is the most commonly used isotope for dating archaeological samples?

The most commonly used isotope for dating archaeological samples is carbon-14. This is because carbon-14 has a relatively long half-life of 5,730 years and is found in all living things, making it useful for dating organic materials.

4. How accurate are age calculations based on radioactive decay?

The accuracy of age calculations based on radioactive decay can vary depending on the methods used and the quality of the sample being tested. However, with advances in technology, age calculations can be accurate within a range of a few years to several hundred thousand years.

5. Can radioactive decay be used to date all types of archaeological samples?

No, radioactive decay can only be used to date samples that contain organic material. This is because the decay process is only applicable to organic matter and not inorganic materials. Additionally, the sample must contain a measurable amount of the specific isotope being used for dating.