Conditions necessary for emission of EMR

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to a forum and is struggling to understand the necessary conditions for the emission of electromagnetic radiation. They mention being assigned a paper on the topic and express confusion about what it is asking for. Another person suggests that the paper may be about the effects of EMR on human health and recommends doing a Google search for more information. The original person thanks them and states that they now understand the question.
desormais

Homework Statement

Sorry if this is the wrong place, I'm new here but I've been given a little paper to write on electromagnetic radiation. I am having trouble finding what the necessary conditions are for the emission of EMR, and kind of don't understand what it's really asking me for.

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
desormais said:

Homework Statement

Sorry if this is the wrong place, I'm new here but I've been given a little paper to write on electromagnetic radiation. I am having trouble finding what the necessary conditions are for the emission of EMR, and kind of don't understand what it's really asking me for.

thanks in advance.
You need an electromagnetic wave...light, radio waves, microwaves, gamma rays, etc,. and ,in particular , electricity, where the term EMF (electric and magnetic fields) is more commonly used than the term EMR (electromagnetic radiation). Are you being asked to write about EMR and its possible health effects on humans? I'm just guessing, it cause some concern awhile back about causing certain cancers (also cell phone EMR was a concern), none of which has ever been proven, There's probably tons of literature available ..try a Google search.

ok, thanks. I understand the question now.

Related to Conditions necessary for emission of EMR

1. What is EMR?

EMR stands for electromagnetic radiation, which is a form of energy that travels through space in the form of waves. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. What are the conditions necessary for the emission of EMR?

The two main conditions necessary for the emission of EMR are the presence of charged particles and their acceleration. When charged particles, such as electrons, are accelerated, they create electromagnetic waves and emit EMR.

3. How is the wavelength of EMR related to its energy?

The wavelength of EMR is inversely proportional to its energy. This means that shorter wavelengths have higher energy and longer wavelengths have lower energy. For example, gamma rays have very short wavelengths and high energy, while radio waves have longer wavelengths and lower energy.

4. Can EMR be emitted by non-luminous objects?

Yes, EMR can be emitted by non-luminous objects. Any object that has charged particles and is capable of accelerating them can emit EMR. This includes objects such as a charged particle accelerator, a television antenna, or even the human body.

5. What is the speed of EMR?

The speed of EMR is constant and is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second, which is the speed of light. This means that all forms of electromagnetic radiation travel at the same speed in a vacuum.