Conditionnal moments of a normal distribution

In summary, the problem at hand involves computing the conditional variance and covariance of two correlated variables X and Y, given that X belongs to event A with a probability between 0 and 1. The equations for X and Y are given, and the task is to find the values of V(Y|X E A) and Cov(X,Y|X E A) in order to calculate the correlation over the events A. The attempt at a solution involves computing the conditional covariance and variance, but there is uncertainty in finding the values without further assistance.
finanmath

Homework Statement

We have Vx,Vy following a Normal standardized distribution
from which we construct the following correlated variables: X, Y.
We consider the events such that x(belong to)A, with 0 < Pr[x(belong to) A] <1.
We want to compute V(Y|X E A), Cov(X,Y|X E A) in order to compute the correlation over the events A ?

Homework Equations

X=Mux+Vx*Sx,
Y=Muy+ Sy*(rho*Vx+Vy*(1-rho^2)^0.5 )

The Attempt at a Solution

I already computed the conditionnal covariance and end up with :

COV(X,Y|X E A)=rho*Sy/Sx*V(X|X E A)

Physics news on Phys.org
Please Help me ! I am feeling very lost in this exercise and can't do it without someone's help. Don't hesitate to ask me any questions.

In fact I have started this way for the conditionnal variance, but I m not sure if it s right:
E=belong to (logic operator)

V(Y|x E A)=V(Muy + Sy*(rho*Vx+Vy*(1-rho^2)^0.5 )|x E A)=V(Sy*(rho*Vx+Vy*(1-rho^2)^0.5 )|x E A)=Sy^2*rho^2*V(Vx/X E A)+ Sy^2*(1-rho^2)*V(Vy|x E A)
there is no covariance term in the last equality but my issue is to comput the two remaining variance. I know that the unconditionnal variance of Vx and Vy is 1(standardized normal).
Though if u can help me I ll be grateful.

Related to Conditionnal moments of a normal distribution

1. What is the definition of conditional moments?

The conditional moments of a normal distribution refer to the statistical measures used to describe the distribution of a random variable, given that it falls within a specific range or meets certain conditions. These measures include the mean, variance, and higher order moments such as skewness and kurtosis.

2. How are conditional moments calculated?

Conditional moments can be calculated using the conditional probability distribution function, which is derived from the joint probability distribution function of the random variable and the conditioning event. Alternatively, they can also be calculated using the conditional expectation function, which is the expected value of the random variable given the conditioning event.

3. What is the significance of conditional moments in statistical analysis?

Conditional moments provide valuable insights into the behavior of a random variable under certain conditions. They can help identify patterns and relationships between variables, and can be used to make predictions and inform decision-making in various fields such as finance, economics, and engineering.

4. How do conditional moments of a normal distribution differ from those of other distributions?

The conditional moments of a normal distribution have some unique properties that make them particularly useful in statistical analysis. For example, the conditional mean and variance of a normal distribution remain constant regardless of the conditioning event, which is not the case for other distributions. Additionally, the higher order moments of a normal distribution can be easily calculated using the conditional moments of lower orders.

5. Can conditional moments be used to test for normality?

Yes, conditional moments can be used as a diagnostic tool to test for normality. The conditional skewness and kurtosis can provide information about the shape of the distribution, and if they are close to zero, it can be an indication of normality. However, it is important to note that conditional moments alone may not be sufficient to determine the normality of a distribution and should be used in conjunction with other statistical tests.