Conditional Probability

In summary: Hope this helps!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability distribution for the number of spades when three cards are drawn in succession from a deck without replacement. There is some confusion about the question and the probabilities are calculated for drawing 0, 1, 2, or 3 spades. The probabilities are calculated using a hypergeometric distribution and the final result should add up to 1.
Roohul Amin
Dear All sorry for repeated post;
There is a problem
Problem: Three cards are drawn in succession from a deck without replacement. find the probability distribution for the number of spades.
I have come with this solution.
Let S1: appearance of spade on first draw S2: appearance of spade on 2nd draw S3: appearance of spade on 3rd draw
S01: No spade on 1st draw S02: No spade on 2nd draw
P(S1)=13/52
P(S2)=P(S2/S1)+P(S2/S0)=12/51+13/51
P(S3)=P(S3/S01*S02)+P(S3/S1*S02)+P(S3/S1*S2)=13/50+12/50+11/50

Need your opinion Please!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

So a probability distribution is a function of some kind of input parameter(s). Are you asking what is the probability of drawing three spades or trying to generalize the distribution in terms of the three draws?

In either case the final result would be a multiplication, not a sum. I think you are in the right direction but some clarification on the question would be helpful.

If you want an exhaustive list of possible outcomes, the event is spade/no spade, so the total number of outcomes is $2^3=8$.

Thanks for your reply Jamson: it seems the hyper-geometric distribution fit well this situation, what do you think?

Roohul Amin said:
Dear All sorry for repeated post;
There is a problem
Problem: Three cards are drawn in succession from a deck without replacement. find the probability distribution for the number of spades.
I have come with this solution.
Let S1: appearance of spade on first draw S2: appearance of spade on 2nd draw S3: appearance of spade on 3rd draw
S01: No spade on 1st draw S02: No spade on 2nd draw
P(S1)=13/52
P(S2)=P(S2/S1)+P(S2/S0)=12/51+13/51
P(S3)=P(S3/S01*S02)+P(S3/S1*S02)+P(S3/S1*S2)=13/50+12/50+11/50

Need your opinion Please!
I am not entirely sure that I understand the question. But I think that it is asking for the probabilities for drawing 0, 1, 2 or 3 spades.

Let $P(n)$ denote the probability of drawing $n$ spades. Then $P(0) = \dfrac{39 \cdot 38 \cdot 37}{52 \cdot 51 \cdot 50} \approx 0.4135$.

For $P(1)$ we have to draw one spade and two non-spades. There are three possibilities, since the one spade could be either the first, the second or the third card drawn. So $P(1) = \dfrac{3 \cdot 39 \cdot 38 \cdot 13}{52 \cdot 51 \cdot 50} \approx 0.4359.$

In a similar way, you can calculate $P(2)$ and $P(3)$.

If I am interpreting the question correctly, you answer should be the set of four probabilities $P(0),\ldots,P(3)$. As a check, you should verify that your four probabilities add up to $1$.

Last edited:
in the denominator the values are clearly 52C3. But the values in numerator i.e 3.52.52.39 are making some confusion to me, would you pleas give details. Thanks

Roohul Amin said:
in the denominator the values are clearly 52C3. But the values in numerator i.e 3.52.52.39 are making some confusion to me, would you pleas give details. Thanks
Sorry, my mistake. I should have written 3.39.38.13 there (I have now corrected it). The idea is that if you want just one of the three cards to be a spade, then you have 39 choices for the first non-spade, 38 for the second non-spade, and 13 for the spade. The 3 (as I mentioned in my previous comment) comes from the fact that the spade could be either the first, the second, or the third card to be chosen.

Related to Conditional Probability

What is Conditional Probability?

Conditional probability is a mathematical concept that measures the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. In other words, it calculates the probability of an outcome based on some known information or condition.

How is Conditional Probability calculated?

The formula for conditional probability is P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B), where P(A|B) represents the probability of event A occurring given that event B has occurred, P(A and B) represents the probability of both events A and B occurring, and P(B) represents the probability of event B occurring.

What is the difference between Conditional Probability and Joint Probability?

Conditional probability and joint probability are related but different concepts. Conditional probability calculates the probability of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred, while joint probability calculates the probability of two events occurring simultaneously.

Why is Conditional Probability useful in real life?

Conditional probability is useful in real life because it allows us to make more accurate predictions and decisions based on known information or conditions. It is commonly used in fields such as statistics, finance, and science to analyze data and make informed decisions.

What are some common applications of Conditional Probability?

Some common applications of conditional probability include medical diagnoses, weather forecasting, risk assessment, and market analysis. It is also used in game theory and decision-making processes, such as in the Monty Hall problem.