Conditional probability: selecting one from a set

In summary, conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring based on prior knowledge, calculated by dividing the probability of two events occurring together. It cannot be greater than 1 and differs from joint probability, which looks at the likelihood of two events occurring together. It is commonly used in fields such as medicine, finance, and engineering to make predictions and decisions based on prior information.
Medicol
I have a group of dogs (3 brown male, 2 brown female, 4 white male, 4 white female, 5 black male, 4 black female)
What is the probability to
1. select a female brown dog ?
2. select a female, given that is a brown dog ?
3. select a brown given that is a female dog ?

Thank you.

I have tried

1. P(BrB)=freq of female brown/total dog number=1/11
2. P(F , Br)=P(female brown)/P(brown)=1/11 / 5/22 = 2/5
3. P(Br, F) = P(female brown)/P(female)=1/11 / 10/22 = 1/5

But my answers are different from those in my book

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say you have 10,000,000 marbles in a REALLY big jar. All but 3 of them are blank and pure black. The three are all white and one of them has a 1 printed on it, one of them a 2 and one of them a 3. You draw a ball and it is white. What are the odds that it has a 1 printed on it?

Your answers look OK to me, what does the book say?

Note that we usually write "probability of brown given female" as P(Br|F).

Medicol said:
I have a group of dogs (3 brown male, 2 brown female, 4 white male, 4 white female, 5 black male, 4 black female)
What is the probability to
1. select a female brown dog ?
2. select a female, given that is a brown dog ?
3. select a brown given that is a female dog ?

Thank you.

I have tried

1. P(BrB)=freq of female brown/total dog number=1/11.
Yes, this is correct. There are a total of 3+ 2+ 4+ 4+ 5+ 4= 22 dogs and 2 of them are brown females: 2/22= 1/11.

2. P(F , Br)=P(female brown)/P(brown)=1/11 / 5/22 = 2/5
Yes, that is correct. There are a total of 3+ 2= 5 brown dogs and 2 of them are female: 2/5.

3. P(Br, F) = P(female brown)/P(female)=1/11 / 10/22 = 1/5
Yes, that is correct, There are a total of 10 female dogs and 2 of them are brown: 2/10= 1/5.

But my answers are different from those in my book
What answers does your book give?

Thank you, my book answers are
1. P=3/22
2. P=2/5
3. P=3/10

Medicol said:
Thank you, my book answers are
1. P=3/22
2. P=2/5
3. P=3/10
Book's wrong. Can't think of a simple change to the inputs that gives those answers.

Related to Conditional probability: selecting one from a set

1. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It takes into account prior knowledge or information about the situation.

2. How is conditional probability calculated?

Conditional probability is calculated by dividing the probability of the two events occurring together by the probability of the first event occurring.

3. Can conditional probability be greater than 1?

No, conditional probability cannot be greater than 1. This is because the probability of an event occurring cannot be more certain when another event is already known to have happened.

4. What is the difference between conditional probability and joint probability?

Conditional probability focuses on the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred, while joint probability looks at the likelihood of two events occurring together.

5. How is conditional probability used in real-life situations?

Conditional probability is used in a variety of fields, including medicine, finance, and engineering, to make predictions and decisions based on prior information. For example, it can be used to determine the likelihood of a patient having a certain disease based on their symptoms and medical history.