Conditional probability & r balls randomly distributed in n cells

In summary, the problem is asking to show that the conditional probability of a triple occupancy of some cells, given that two cells are empty, equals 1/4. This can be verified numerically using Table I of II,5. The correct interpretation of the problem is to consider the number of configurations with exactly two cells empty and triple entry cells among those. By using Feller's hint, the solution can be found.
jfierro
Conditional probability & "r balls randomly distributed in n cells"

Homework Statement

I'm posting this in hope that someone can give me a correct interpretation of the following problem (problem V.8 of Feller's Introduction to probability theory and its applications VOL I):

8. Seven balls are distributed randomly in seven cells. Given that two cells are empty, show that the (conditional) probability of a triple occupancy of some cells equals 1/4. Verify this numerically using table 1 of II,5.

Homework Equations

Conditional probability:
[tex]P\left \{A|B\right \} = \frac{P\left \{AB\right \}}{P\left \{B\right \}}[/tex]
Number of ways of distributing r indistinguishable balls in n cells:
[tex]\binom{n+r-1}{r}[/tex]
Number of ways of distributing r indistinguishable balls in n cells and no cell remaining empty:
[tex]\binom{r-1}{n-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot arrive at the 1/4 figure, so I thought this may be due to a misunderstanding of the problem statement. The way I interpreted the problem is saying that the new sample space is the same as if any 2 of the seven cells turn out to be empty, giving 315 possible arrangements:
[tex]\binom{7}{2}\binom{7-1}{5-1} = 315[/tex]
With this scheme, only one cell of the remaining 5 can be triply occupied, because that leaves us with distributing the remaining 4 balls in the remaining 4 cells and no cell remaining empty. If we ignore the common factor 7 choose 2 = 21:
[tex]\frac{5}{\binom{7-1}{5-1}} = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

jfierro said:

Homework Statement

I'm posting this in hope that someone can give me a correct interpretation of the following problem (problem V.8 of Feller's Introduction to probability theory and its applications VOL I):

8. Seven balls are distributed randomly in seven cells. Given that two cells are empty, show that the (conditional) probability of a triple occupancy of some cells equals 1/4. Verify this numerically using table 1 of II,5.

Homework Equations

Conditional probability:
[tex]P\left \{A|B\right \} = \frac{P\left \{AB\right \}}{P\left \{B\right \}}[/tex]
Number of ways of distributing r indistinguishable balls in n cells:
[tex]\binom{n+r-1}{r}[/tex]
Number of ways of distributing r indistinguishable balls in n cells and no cell remaining empty:
[tex]\binom{r-1}{n-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot arrive at the 1/4 figure, so I thought this may be due to a misunderstanding of the problem statement. The way I interpreted the problem is saying that the new sample space is the same as if any 2 of the seven cells turn out to be empty, giving 315 possible arrangements:
[tex]\binom{7}{2}\binom{7-1}{5-1} = 315[/tex]
With this scheme, only one cell of the remaining 5 can be triply occupied, because that leaves us with distributing the remaining 4 balls in the remaining 4 cells and no cell remaining empty. If we ignore the common factor 7 choose 2 = 21:
[tex]\frac{5}{\binom{7-1}{5-1}} = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]

Presumably you are supposed to come up with some clever direct argument, but barring that, Feller's hint will give you what you want (except for roundoff errors---which can be eliminated by going to exact rational expressions). Just consult Table I of II,5. What entries have exactly two cells empty? Among those, what entries have have triple entry cells?

RGV

Thanks, now I got the correct answer. I guess my mistake was approaching the problem from "the number of indistinguishable configurations", ignoring that some of those configurations would appear more often than others.

Related to Conditional probability & r balls randomly distributed in n cells

What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the probability of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is calculated by dividing the probability of both events occurring by the probability of the first event occurring.

What is the formula for calculating conditional probability?

The formula for calculating conditional probability is P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B), where P(A|B) is the conditional probability of event A given event B has occurred, P(A and B) is the probability of both events occurring, and P(B) is the probability of event B occurring.

How is conditional probability related to r balls randomly distributed in n cells?

If we have r balls randomly distributed in n cells, the probability of a certain number of balls landing in a particular cell can be calculated using conditional probability. For example, if we know that x balls have landed in cell A, the probability of y balls landing in cell B can be calculated using conditional probability.

What are some real-world applications of conditional probability?

Conditional probability is used in various fields, such as finance, medicine, and engineering. For example, it can be used in predicting stock market trends, diagnosing medical conditions, and designing efficient communication networks.

How can conditional probability help in decision making?

By using conditional probability, we can make more informed decisions by considering the likelihood of different events occurring. This can help us weigh the potential outcomes and make the best decision based on available information.