Which Engineering Should I Go For: AI & Automation

• Thread starter vincent81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of artificial intelligence and automation in both software and hardware engineering. The individual is seeking advice on which specific engineering field to pursue, with options including software engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, and electronic engineering. The conversation also mentions the availability of AI modules in university programs and the increasing popularity of software engineering degrees.
vincent81
I'm interested in Artifical intelligence and automation in both software and hardware.
which engineering should i go ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
software - computer science
hardware - computer engineering

Electrical or Computer Engineering.

Thanks for the replies.
I have a better idea now.But which specialization within electrical engineering should i pursue?

I'm thinking Electronic Engineering.

My varsity offers a module in AI which covers both - I'm sure that you'll get a module as specific wherever you are.

A lot of schools around the world are starting to add Software Engineering degrees to their list of undergrad programs. Nearly all engineering/technology schools offer MS in SwE, but a few schools are starting to offer a BS in SwE.

1. What is the difference between AI and Automation in engineering?

AI (Artificial Intelligence) is the ability of a computer or machine to mimic and perform tasks that typically require human intelligence, such as problem-solving and decision making. On the other hand, automation is the use of technology to perform tasks or processes without human intervention.

2. Which engineering field offers more career opportunities, AI or Automation?

Both AI and Automation are rapidly growing fields with a high demand for skilled professionals. However, the field of AI offers a wider range of career opportunities in various industries such as healthcare, finance, and transportation, compared to Automation which is more focused on industrial and manufacturing sectors.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in Computer Science to pursue AI or Automation engineering?

Having a strong foundation in Computer Science is beneficial for both AI and Automation engineering, as these fields heavily rely on programming and algorithms. However, it is not necessary to have a degree in Computer Science, as many engineering programs offer courses in AI and Automation.

4. What are the potential ethical concerns in the development of AI and Automation?

Some potential ethical concerns in the development of AI and Automation include the potential loss of jobs, biased decision making, and privacy concerns. It is crucial for engineers in these fields to consider the ethical implications of their work and prioritize ethical practices.

5. Which engineering field has a higher potential for advancement in the future?

Both AI and Automation are constantly evolving fields, and it is difficult to predict which one will have a higher potential for advancement in the future. However, with the increasing integration of AI and Automation in various industries, it is safe to say that both fields will continue to grow and offer many opportunities for advancement.