Solving f(x) for x: Calculus Help Needed!

• Thread starter sonya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: Anyway, I simplified the problem for you, so you can see where you are going wrong. In summary, HallsofIvy is asking for help with calculus, and In summary, HallsofIvy is asking for help with calculus, and In summary, you are supposed to simplify the problem before trying to solve it.
sonya
calculus help please!

if f(x)= (2e^x -8)/(10e^x + 9)
then wat is f^(-1)(x)?

i first took the ln of both sides...

getting lny = ln (2e^x - 8)/(10e^x + 9)

then using one of the properties i get

lny = ln (2e^x - 8) - ln (10e^x + 9)

and from here i get stuck...how do i solve for x?? am i doing it a totally wrong way?? please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty much, yeah, you're doing it the wrong way.

Instead of starting right off with the ln (which doesn't really help, does it?) you might want to simplfy the problem a bit first.

Since y= (2ex- 8)/(10ex+9),
(10ex+ 9)y= 2ex- 8
10exy+ 9= 2ex-8

Now subtract 9 and 2ex from both sides of the equation:
10y ex- 2ex= -17 or

(10y- 2)ex= -17

Divide both sides by 10y- 2 to isolate the exponential:

ex= -17/(10y-2)= 17/(2- 10y)

FINALLY, take the ln of both sides:

x= ln(17/(2-10y)) so the inverse function is

f-1(x)= ln(17/(2-10x)) where defined.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Since y= (2ex- 8)/(10ex+9),
(10ex+ 9)y= 2ex- 8
10exy+ 9= 2ex-8

er...wat happened to the y? shouldn't it b 9y when u expand the y thru the brackets??

Last edited:
ne1??

y= (2e^x - 8)/(10e^x + 9)

(10e^x+ 9)y= 2e^x- 8

10e^xy + 9y = 2e^x - 8

10e^xy-2e^x = - (8 + 9y)

e^x = (9y + 8)/(2 - 10y)

Take ln on both sides
x = ln [(9y + 8)/(2 - 10y)]

so,
f-1(x) = ln[(9y + 8)/(2 - 10y)]

er...wat happened to the y? shouldn't it b 9y when u expand the y thru the brackets??
Yes, that should be 9y. HallsofIvy only made a careless mistake and the way I do this question is exactly the same as that of HallsofIvy.

Yes, that should be 9y. HallsofIvy only made a careless mistake

Well, yeah, I did that to see if you were paying attention.

You BELIEVE that, don't you?

1. What is f(x) and why do we need to solve it for x?

F(x) is a notation used in calculus to represent a function. The variable x represents the input of the function, and the output is represented by f(x). Solving f(x) for x allows us to find the specific value of x that corresponds to a given output of the function.

2. What are the steps to solve f(x) for x?

The first step is to isolate the variable x on one side of the equation by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Then, use inverse operations to cancel out any constants or coefficients. Finally, solve for x by applying the inverse operation to both sides of the equation.

3. Can you provide an example of solving f(x) for x?

Given the equation f(x) = 2x + 5, to solve for x, we first subtract 5 from both sides to isolate the variable: f(x) - 5 = 2x. Then, we divide both sides by 2 to cancel out the coefficient of x: (f(x) - 5) / 2 = x. Thus, the solution is x = (f(x) - 5) / 2.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving f(x) for x?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the inverse operation to both sides of the equation, resulting in an incorrect solution. Another mistake is not isolating the variable x properly by not performing all necessary algebraic operations.

5. How can understanding how to solve f(x) for x be useful in real-life situations?

Solving f(x) for x can be useful in various real-life situations, such as finding the optimal solution to a problem in economics or determining the velocity of an object in physics. It can also be helpful in interpreting data and making predictions based on mathematical models.