Condition for Phase transition

In summary, Joris is trying to use Peierl's argument to prove the existence of a phase transition in the 2D Ising model without an external field. However, he is having trouble understanding the mathematical nature of the argument and how it relates to the average magnetisation. He also mentions that the approach used in class makes it difficult to apply to specific examples.
JorisL
Hi

I'm trying to use Peierl's argument which in essence is clear to prove that there does exist a phase transition in the 2D Ising model without external field.
The issue I'm having is of a more mathematical nature, in class it was mentioned that there is a phase transition if for some ##\delta > 0##, the probability ##\mathbb{P}_V^+[\sigma_0 = -1] \leq \frac{1}{2}-\delta## uniform as ##V\uparrow\mathbb{Z}^2##.
Let me clarify the notation, we are looking at a finite subvolume V of the square lattice.
The superscript specifies the boundary conditions, all + in this case. And ##\sigma_0## is the state of the site at the origin.

I don't see why this is true, is it because in that case the average magnetisation is non-zero when going to the infinite lattice?
I've been able to follow through the Peierl's argument which is pretty nifty as is, but the sometimes very mathematical approach we used in the course makes it hard to couple back to the examples.

Thanks,

Joris

Physics news on Phys.org
JorisL said:
is it because in that case the average magnetisation is non-zero when going to the infinite lattice?

I have confirmed that this exactly justifies the claim.
I hate moments like these when something seems too good/simple to be true.

Joris

Related to Condition for Phase transition

1. What is a phase transition?

A phase transition is a physical change that occurs in a substance when it is heated, cooled, or put under pressure. It is characterized by a change in the substance's properties, such as its state (solid, liquid, gas) or its magnetic or electrical behavior.

2. What are the conditions for a phase transition to occur?

The conditions for a phase transition to occur depend on the substance and the type of transition. Generally, a change in temperature, pressure, or both is required for the transition to take place. Additionally, the transition may also require a change in the substance's internal energy or the presence of impurities or defects.

3. How do phase transitions affect matter?

Phase transitions can have a significant impact on the properties and behavior of matter. For example, a phase transition from a liquid to a solid can result in the formation of crystals, while a transition from a gas to a liquid can cause condensation. Phase transitions can also affect the conductivity, magnetism, and other physical properties of a substance.

4. What is the difference between a first-order and a second-order phase transition?

A first-order phase transition is characterized by a discontinuous change in a substance's properties, such as a sudden change in volume or energy. In contrast, a second-order phase transition is characterized by a continuous change in properties, with no abrupt changes. First-order transitions typically occur between different phases (e.g. solid to liquid), while second-order transitions occur within the same phase (e.g. liquid to liquid).

5. Can phase transitions be predicted or controlled?

The conditions for a phase transition can be predicted using mathematical models and experimental data. However, the exact timing and outcome of a phase transition can be difficult to control, as they are influenced by a variety of factors such as impurities and external conditions. Scientists continue to study and develop methods for predicting and manipulating phase transitions in different materials.