Is the USA Our Global Police Force?

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Global
In summary, the US is the global police force because it has the ability to project power and because people want it to be that way.

Global police?

• The USA is our global police force. I like it that way.

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • The USA is our global police force. I DON'T like it that way.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • The USA is NOT our global police force. I like it that way.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • The USA is NOT our global police force. I DON'T like it that way.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Adam
From another thread:
It is interesting to note however, that the possibility of such a hypothetical is the prime reason the US is the protector of the world and most contries accept (WANT) it to be. American dominance is what allows our allies the luxury of disarming.

I seem to recall that it was George Bush Senior who introduced the term "global police". He was always, without reason or prompting, throwing into his speaches things like "We don't want to become the world's global police force...", without anyone else ever suggestion the matter in the first place, just so he could get the concept out there in the public arena, and make it look like it was his government shouldering an unwanted yet necessary responsibility.

What say you? Is the USA our global police force?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Strange this poll didn't get more votes (bump).

Well, 3 to one, favor the first. The (four) people have spoken!

Though not many have responded, I am nevertheless surprised by the distribution.

How could someone have voted other, what else is there?

There is no global police. That is good. Until nations have more mutual implicit trust and understanding there is no place for a global police force. At best, the US is one global citizen (admittedly the toughest global citizen) that can be called upon to form a "posse" as needed. At worst, it can be part of a global "vigilante gang".

Policing requires consent of the policed and careful delineation of police powers. The policed endow the police with power to maintain a level of society that is beneficial. True police power can not be arrogated.

Njorl

I said other..because I'm not sure who your referring to when you say "our" and because I don't thin the U.S. is "the" global police..but it certainly can act with other as a regional police when it is set up to do so.

Originally posted by Njorl
There is no global police.
IMO, the US is the de facto global police. When acting under the auspices of the UN or NATO, they come very close to being an official global police force.
Policing requires consent of the policed...
Ehh, that gets a little fuzzy. I'm not sure anyone has ever really consented to being arrested. However, a lot of people did join the UN. Maybe that is consent.

I think it requires the consent of the majority of the policed and this must be prior to any charges, arrests, or accusations. I think a global vigilante gang that included the US would undoubtably be dominated by the US, thereby making it close enough for my definition (though it's far too vague to be put into words).

Originally posted by russ_watters
IMO, the US is the de facto global police. When acting under the auspices of the UN or NATO, they come very close to being an official global police force.

I agree that this is indeed the case. The biggest reason that this is true is that nobody else (with limited exceptions for England, France, and to a lesser degree Russia)has the ability to project power anywhere in the world in mere hours.

My beef with this "fact" is the cost.
We cannot solve all the problems, drive out all the despots, or hunt down all the terrorists on our own. We are too small and poor a country to rid the world of evil doers. Our bridges are crumbling, our rail system is slow and fragile, our highways are choked with traffic and strewn with potholes. Fire and Police departments are under staffed, Schools are over crowded and in disrepair. Higher education has become financially out of reach for much of the citizenry. Thousands of trauma care and emergency rooms have closed.

The cost of striding about the world as the one remaining superpower is carved directly from the health of our society.

1. What is the purpose of a global police force?

A global police force, also known as an international police force, is intended to maintain law and order on a global scale. It aims to prevent and respond to transnational crimes such as terrorism, human trafficking, and drug trafficking.

2. Who makes up the global police force?

The global police force is made up of highly trained law enforcement officers from various countries. They may come from national police forces, international organizations such as Interpol, or specialized agencies such as the United Nations Police.

3. How does the global police force operate?

The global police force operates through collaboration and cooperation among its member agencies. They share information, resources, and expertise to address transnational crimes and pursue criminals across borders.

4. What challenges does the global police force face?

The global police force faces numerous challenges, including differences in legal systems and jurisdictions, language barriers, and limited resources. There may also be political and cultural obstacles that hinder effective cooperation among member agencies.

5. Is there a global police force in existence?

While there is no single global police force, there are various international and multilateral efforts to combat transnational crimes. This includes the Interpol, United Nations Police, and other regional and specialized agencies. However, the effectiveness of these efforts is still a subject of debate.