Condensation on a cold glass during a hot day

In summary, when a cold drink is brought out on a hot day, water droplets form on the surface of the cold glass due to the transfer of energy from water molecules in the gaseous state to the glass. This causes the water molecules to lose enough energy to form bonds with other molecules and create droplets. However, if the air and the glass are at the same temperature, condensation will not occur as there is no temperature difference to reach the dewpoint. Humidity plays a major role in the formation of condensation, with higher humidity levels leading to more condensation.
mathman44
Hello all.

Consider the case whereby one brings out a cold drink on a hot day. Why do water droplets form on the surface of the cold glass?

I would think that when water molecules in the gaseous state collide with the glass surface, they transfer some energy into the glass. Therefore by the surface of the glass, water molecules lose enough energy to form bonds with other molecules (they couldn't before since they had too much energy), eventually resulting in a droplet.

Here is where I'm a little lost... why wouldn't condensation, then, occur if both the air and the glass were the same temperature as the glass in the former example?

Basically, let's assume that the water molecule has energy X after interacting with the glass in the example above.

Why wouldn't a gas of water molecules at temperature T of energy X simply condense on any surface, also of temperature T, since their energy is low enough to coagulate with other water molecules?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathman44 said:
Hello all.

Consider the case whereby one brings a cold drink on a hot day. Why do water droplets form on the surface of the cold glass?

I would think that when water molecules in the gaseous state collide with the glass surface, they transfer some energy into the glass. Therefore by the surface of the glass, water molecules lose enough energy to form bonds with other molecules (they couldn't before since they had too much energy), eventually resulting in a droplet.

Here is where I'm a little lost... why wouldn't condensation, then, occur if both the air and the glass were the same temperature as the glass in the former example?

Basically, let's assume that the water molecule has energy X after interacting with the glass in the example above.

Why wouldn't a gas of water molecules at temperature T of energy X simply condense on any surface, also of temperature T?
Suppose the glass and the atmosphere were the same temperature. I will refer to the material of the glass as molecules, even though the nature of the glass solid may be a bit more complex.
A molecule of water vapor collides with molecules of gas. Kinetic energy from the water molecules is passed on to the glass "molecules". Then, the water molecule may stick to a glass "molecule". Then, the motion of a glass molecule knocks the water molecule back into the atmosphere.
If the glass is cold, the molecules of glass aren't moving as fast. They can't knock as many molecules of water off the glass. Molecules of water that stick to the glass remain stuck. They accumulate on the glass. Eventually, a liquid water film grows on the glass.

Water vapour in the air will condense if the air is cooled to below that humidity level's saturation temperature. Your explanation sounds okay, but requires that the molecules make contact with the glass. However, if you observe a cold flask sitting on a table, visible frost can be falling around it as air merely in the vicinity of the flask feels the chill.

mathman44 said:
Hello all.

Consider the case whereby one brings out a cold drink on a hot day. Why do water droplets form on the surface of the cold glass?

Why wouldn't a gas of water molecules at temperature T of energy X simply condense on any surface, also of temperature T, since their energy is low enough to coagulate with other water molecules?
My first thought is there needs to be a difference in termperature, else condensation isn't going to occur. In the atmosphere when talking in terms of meteorology we call this the Dewpoint ... from wiki...
The dew point is the temperature below which the water vapor in a volume of humid air at a constant barometric pressure will condense into liquid water. Condensed water is called dew when it forms on a solid surface
... or as clouds in the atmosphere.

I would imagine the same principle occurrs with your cold glass example ... if the vater vapor and the glass is the same or close in temperature, then the dewpoint won't be reached and condensation will not occur.
On the other hand, as you, say, slowly cool down the glass, it will reach that dewpoint and condensation will eventually occur.

That wiki link has lots of wonderful formula that I personally are not even going to try and comprehend ;)

Dave

mathman44 said:
Note that room temperature is room temperature, in the summer or winter. Condensation occurs in the summer and not the winter due to the difference in humidity, not the difference in temperature.

So yeah - it can't be the collision itself that matters if the difference between the two cases is temperature. So what happens is that the glass, being cool, cools the air and water vapor in its direct vicinity. And when the pressure of water vapor in the air (aka absolute humidity) is higher, it can squeeze the water vapor out of the air easier when the water vapor's energy is low enough...which happens when it comes near a cold glass.

You kinda answered your own question with the self-contradiction: The water molecule's energy isn't low enough to condense if what it hits has the same temperature as it does.

Darwin123 said:
A molecule of water vapor collides with molecules of gas. Kinetic energy from the water molecules is passed on to the glass "molecules". Then, the water molecule may stick to a glass "molecule". Then, the motion of a glass molecule knocks the water molecule back into the atmosphere.
If the glass is cold, the molecules of glass aren't moving as fast. They can't knock as many molecules of water off the glass. Molecules of water that stick to the glass remain stuck. They accumulate on the glass. Eventually, a liquid water film grows on the glass.

That's precisely the explanation I gave; but if that was all that was happening, we would expect condensation between wet air of any temperature and a 'cold glass'.

russ_watters said:
So what happens is that the glass, being cool, cools the air and water vapor in its direct vicinity. And when the pressure of water vapor in the air (aka absolute humidity) is higher, it can squeeze the water vapor out of the air easier when the water vapor's energy is low enough...which happens when it comes near a cold glass.

So the two ingredients are 1) temperature difference and 2) humidity difference.

What's the physical explanation for how the water vapor 'squeezes out' water when the vapor is cooler, i.e. lower energy? This is the source of my confusion, really. Clearly the process can't be solely dependent on the energy of the water molecules in the cool air for the same reasons as in my OP.

Cheers!

Related to Condensation on a cold glass during a hot day

1. Why does condensation form on a cold glass during a hot day?

Condensation forms on a cold glass during a hot day because when the warm, humid air comes into contact with the cold glass, the air's temperature decreases. This causes the water vapor in the air to turn into liquid water, forming droplets on the surface of the glass.

2. Why does condensation occur specifically on a cold glass and not a warm one?

Condensation occurs on a cold glass because the temperature difference between the cold glass and the warm, humid air causes the air's water vapor to turn into liquid water. On a warm glass, the temperature difference is not significant enough to cause this reaction.

3. How does humidity affect the amount of condensation on a cold glass during a hot day?

Humidity plays a crucial role in the amount of condensation on a cold glass during a hot day. Higher humidity means there is more water vapor in the air, which increases the likelihood of condensation occurring on a cold surface.

4. Does the type of liquid in the glass affect the amount of condensation?

The type of liquid in the glass does not affect the amount of condensation on a cold glass during a hot day. Condensation occurs due to the temperature difference between the glass and the surrounding air, not the liquid inside the glass.

5. How can you prevent condensation from forming on a cold glass during a hot day?

To prevent condensation from forming on a cold glass during a hot day, you can try using a koozie or insulating wrap around the glass to reduce the temperature difference between the glass and the air. Alternatively, you can also try wiping the condensation off the glass periodically to keep it dry.