Exploring Supernumerary Dimensions & the LQG Theory

In summary, during an interview with Lisa Randall, it was mentioned that the concept of supernumerary dimensions is implemented in theories where gravity can leave the brane while the other interactions are restricted to it. However, there is a lack of detailed explanations or reviews available online. The two main approaches to solving the problem of gravitation involve the idea of our universe being a D-brane or a 3-dimensional brane parallel to another one in a 5-dimensional spacetime. Both theories involve the concept of gravitons acting outside of the brane, making gravity a weaker force compared to other interactions.
Sauron
I have readed a bit about them in an interview to Lisa Randall.

I have an idea of what they are. But don´t know the detaills of how it is working. That is, they implment the idea of supernumerary dimensios because only gravity can leave the brane (a d-brane if i am not wrong) while the other interactions are fixed to kee in the brane.

But i would like to know it in more detaill. I didn´t find a good exposition (in fact no exposition) avaiable in line. So in if somene (Jeff?) knows it i would acknowledege a lot if he could give here an explanation. Or at least point a good review.

T.I.A.

P.S. AS you can see althought my preferred theory is LQG i keep open minded to advances in alternative aproximation to QG, as string theory

Space news on Phys.org
I don't know very much about the subject, but seems that there are two approaches to solve the problem of gravitation
In one model our universe is a D-brane, and particles with spin -1 are open strings with its ends glued to the D-brane. The graviton,has spin-2, is a close string and is not glued to the D-brane, and somehow can travel to other dimensions, this is why gravitation is so feeble
The other model, the Randall-Sundrum model consist in that our universe is 3-dimensional brane that is parallel to another 3-dimensional brane. This two branes are inside a 5-dimensional spacetime (the bulk). Gravity resides in the other brane, so it has a weak effect in our brane

1. What are supernumerary dimensions?

Supernumerary dimensions, also known as extra dimensions, are hypothetical spatial dimensions beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we experience in our everyday lives. The concept of extra dimensions arises in certain theories, such as string theory and the LQG theory, which attempt to explain the fundamental forces of nature.

2. How many extra dimensions are predicted by the LQG theory?

The LQG theory predicts that there are a total of nine spatial dimensions - three visible dimensions and six extra dimensions. These extra dimensions are believed to be compactified, meaning they are curled up and hidden at scales smaller than we can currently observe.

3. How can we explore or detect these extra dimensions?

One way to explore or detect extra dimensions is through high energy particle collisions in particle accelerators. The LQG theory predicts that at extremely high energies, particles can travel in and out of these extra dimensions, leaving a measurable effect on the particles that we can observe. Another way is through indirect evidence, such as studying the behavior of gravity, which could be influenced by the presence of extra dimensions.

4. What is the significance of the LQG theory in understanding the universe?

The LQG theory is one of the leading theories in the search for a unified theory of physics, which would explain all of the fundamental forces of nature. It offers a possible explanation for the existence of extra dimensions and could potentially provide a bridge between the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. Additionally, the LQG theory is being studied in the context of cosmology to understand the origin and evolution of the universe.

5. Are there any experiments or observations that support the LQG theory?

At this point, there is no direct experimental evidence to support the LQG theory. However, the theory is highly regarded by many physicists and has been used to make predictions in other areas of physics, such as black hole thermodynamics. Further research and experimentation are needed to confirm the validity of the LQG theory.