Concerning QED and the Many Worlds theory.

In summary, QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) is a theory that explains the behavior of particles and their interactions through the exchange of photons. Many Worlds theory, on the other hand, suggests that every decision we make creates a branching off into parallel universes, resulting in an infinite number of alternate realities. While QED has been extensively tested and supported by experiments, Many Worlds theory remains controversial and unproven. However, both theories offer intriguing explanations for the complexities of the quantum world.
John Plant
In QED the maths suggests that a photon takes all possible paths, and all but one of the paths cancel out leaving the path we observe.
Using this as an analogy:-
The maths of quantum mechanics suggests a vast number of possible universes concurrent with our universe.
Perhaps all these mathematically possible universe cancels out with the others, leaving what we see as the wave function of our universe.

Has anyone thought along these lines?

Physics news on Phys.org
John Plant said:
In QED the maths suggests that a photon takes all possible paths, and all but one of the paths cancel out leaving the path we observe.
Not quite... It says that the probability of the photon being detected at a particular point in time and space can be calculated by adding up the amplitudes associated with all possible paths to that point. The leap from that calculation to "the photon takes all possible paths" is large and not easily justified; and the fact that I can just as accurately describe what the math says by saying "the photon takes no path" suggests that neither "all paths" nor "no path" are very good mental models.
The maths of quantum mechanics suggests a vast number of possible universes concurrent with our universe.
Perhaps all these mathematically possible universe cancels out with the others, leaving what we see as the wave function of our universe.
It is possible to describe the Multiple Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics as "a vast number of possible universes concurrent with our universe" (athough that's not really what the math says, it's just a not very good English language substitute for what the math says). But even if we try following that line of thought, the mathematical terms in the wave function that correspond to the different "universes" don't cancel - they add in such a way that they don't affect one another, and that property is essential to the operation of the MWI.
Well, yes, you just did :)
But seriously, kidding aside, reasoning based on analogy doesn't generally go very far in quantum mechanics. An analogy explains something by showing how it works similarly to something that is already understood - but QM doesn't work the way the classical world does, so we don't have a pool of already understood concepts to analogize from.

(This might be a good time to remind everyone of the PF policy on speculation and personal theories... This thread is close to the edge)

Last edited:
Likes bhobba, nomadreid and BvU
John Plant said:
Using this as an analogy:-

I would say that your summary of QED is not correct, to start with. Yes, you can describe the mathematics of QED in terms of amplitudes associated with various possibilities, and you get cancellation between different alternatives. But it's not true that the result of the interference only leaves one possibility.

The Mathematics of quantum mechanics suggests the 10^500 possible universe. I don't think the reality of these universes is suggested any further than this- I am not aware of any further description of any other universe, other than creative speculation.
I just think it's interesting that maybe all the universes are present as potential realities and what we see as our universe is all these potential universes resolved into our 'reality'.either by cancelling out ,reinforcing or both or something else perhaps.
I simplified my reading of QED as a photon taking all paths and cancelling out leaving the path of shortest distance. Did the photon take all possible paths- who really knows- but the maths says this is a good way to look at how a photon behaves. This was used to explain the origin of my thought and to help describe my imaginings on the multiverse.

John Plant said:
The Mathematics of quantum mechanics suggests the 10^500 possible universe.

As I understand things this number is usually associated with String Theory Landscapes not QM.

Cheers

John Plant said:
The Mathematics of quantum mechanics suggests the 10^500 possible universe.
You will have to provide some acceptable source for this assertion - that will mean a peer-reviewed paper or citation of an accepted textbook.

This was used to explain the origin of my thought and to help describe my imaginings on the multiverse.
If you're going to use the multiverse as the starting point for your imagining, you'll want to be reasonably confident in your understanding of the MWI first. https://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/manyworlds/pdf/dissertation.pdf, Everett's 1956 dissertation, would be a good start.

Likes nomadreid

Related to Concerning QED and the Many Worlds theory.

1. What is QED and how does it relate to the Many Worlds theory?

QED, or Quantum Electrodynamics, is a theory that describes the interactions between light and matter at a quantum level. It is a fundamental theory in physics that explains phenomena such as atomic and molecular structure, as well as the behavior of particles. The Many Worlds theory, on the other hand, is a theory in quantum mechanics that suggests the existence of multiple parallel universes. QED is often used to support the Many Worlds theory, as it helps to explain the behavior of particles in these parallel universes.

2. How does the Many Worlds theory explain the concept of superposition?

In the Many Worlds theory, superposition refers to the idea that a particle can exist in multiple states at the same time. This is possible because, according to the theory, there are multiple parallel universes where each possible state of the particle exists. This allows for the phenomenon of superposition, where a particle can exist in multiple states until it is observed or measured.

3. Can the Many Worlds theory be proven?

The Many Worlds theory is a theoretical concept and cannot be proven in the traditional sense. However, it is supported by mathematical equations and has been used to make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles. Additionally, some scientists argue that the existence of parallel universes is a logical consequence of the laws of quantum mechanics.

4. What are the implications of the Many Worlds theory?

The Many Worlds theory has several implications, including the idea that there are infinite parallel universes where every possible outcome of an event exists. This challenges our understanding of reality and the concept of causality. It also has implications for the concept of free will, as some argue that our actions are predetermined by the existence of these parallel universes.

5. How does the Many Worlds theory impact our understanding of time?

The Many Worlds theory suggests that time is not linear, but rather branches off into multiple parallel universes. This means that all possible outcomes of an event exist simultaneously, and time is simply a way for us to experience these different outcomes sequentially. This challenges the traditional concept of time as a single, linear progression and opens up new possibilities for understanding the nature of time.