Conceptual Rotational Motion Question

In summary, two objects of equal mass are on a turning wheel with non-zero angular acceleration. The moment of inertia of mass 2 is less than mass 1 due to its smaller radius. The tangential acceleration of mass 2 is also less than mass 1 due to its smaller radius. For a given time, the angle covered by both masses is equal. The total acceleration of mass 1 is greater than mass 2 due to its greater tangential and centripetal accelerations. The speed of both masses is equal due to equal angular acceleration. The angular acceleration of both masses is equal due to equal time and angle covered. The centripetal acceleration of mass 1 is less than mass 2 due to its larger radius
PhysicsPariah

Homework Statement

Two objects of equal mass are on a turning wheel. Mass 1 is located at the rim of the wheel while mass 2 is located halfway between the rim and the axis of rotation. The wheel is rotating with a non-zero angular acceleration. For each of the following statements select the correct option (>, <, =) to complete the statement.

1. The moment of inertia of mass 2 about the axis of rotation is______the moment of inertia of mass 1 about the axis of rotation .

2. The tangential acceleration of mass 2 is______ the tangential acceleration of mass 1.

3. For a given time, the angle covered by mass 1 is ______ the angle covered by mass 2.

4. The magnitude of the total acceleration of mass 1 is ____ the total acceleration of mass 2.

5. The speed of mass 1 is ____ the speed of mass 2.

6. The angular acceleration of mass 1 is _____ the angular acceleration of mass 2.

7. The centripetal (radial) acceleration of mass 1 is______the centripetal acceleration of mass 2.

8. For a given time, mass 1 travels a distance that is______the distance traveled by mass 2.

Homework Equations

[itex]I=mr^2[/itex]
[itex]S=R\theta[/itex]
[itex]\alpha=\Delta w/ \Delta t[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Less than (because they have the same mass, the bigger radius means bigger inertia)
2. Less than (smaller radius means smaller accel)
3. Equal to (angle should be the same regardless of radius)
4. Less than
5. Equal to
6. Equal to
7. Less than (bigger radius means smaller accel)
8. Greater than (mass 1 along the edge should travel a farther distance than mass 2 closer to the axis)

I'm really having problems with this problem. Its an online system and it doesn't tell me which are wrong so any help would be greatly appreciated.
PS. Sorry if I mess up the latex writing, I tried really hard to get it right

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsPariah said:
7. Less than (bigger radius means smaller accel)
Why do you say "bigger radius means smaller acceleration"?

You got three wrong (by my count), but I can only comment on ones for which you gave your reasoning.

Hmm I had to go back to the definition of centripetal acceleration and I found my mistake. I didn't realize it was the rate of change of tangential velocity times radius squared. As for the other 3, I believe is correct because angular acceleration is the same in both (because t is the same and [itex] \theta [/itex] is the same for both masses.) Speed, again, I went back to the basic definition of distance traveled over time, m1 traveled more so I'm going to say greater than. Number 4 was perhaps the trickiest for me because we never looked at acceleration as a magnitude in class. Could somebody please explain how that works? or how to calculate |total accel|. ? I'm very interested.

PhysicsPariah said:
Hmm I had to go back to the definition of centripetal acceleration and I found my mistake. I didn't realize it was the rate of change of tangential velocity times radius squared.
:confused: The centripetal acceleration [itex]= v^2/r = \omega^2r[/itex].
As for the other 3, I believe is correct because angular acceleration is the same in both (because t is the same and [itex] \theta [/itex] is the same for both masses.) Speed, again, I went back to the basic definition of distance traveled over time, m1 traveled more so I'm going to say greater than.
Good.
Number 4 was perhaps the trickiest for me because we never looked at acceleration as a magnitude in class. Could somebody please explain how that works? or how to calculate |total accel|. ? I'm very interested.
The acceleration has two perpendicular components: Tangential and Radial. Combine them (like any other vector) to get the total.

Related to Conceptual Rotational Motion Question

1. What is conceptual rotational motion?

Conceptual rotational motion is the study of objects and systems that are in rotational motion around a fixed axis. It involves understanding the principles of rotational dynamics, such as torque, angular velocity, and moment of inertia.

2. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Some common examples of rotational motion include the rotation of a wheel, the spinning of a top, the swinging of a pendulum, and the movement of a merry-go-round.

3. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves circular or curved movement around a fixed point, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion involves concepts such as angular acceleration and angular momentum, which are not present in linear motion.

4. How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. In rotational motion, torque is responsible for changes in angular velocity and for maintaining the object's rotational equilibrium.

5. What is the importance of understanding rotational motion in science?

Rotational motion is a fundamental concept in physics and is essential for understanding many natural phenomena, such as the movement of planets, the motion of machines, and the behavior of fluids. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, robotics, and sports science.