Conceptual questions:Newton's Laws(Grade 11)

• Thread starter shrabastee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, the conversation discusses two physics problems related to closed systems. The first question involves gas bubbles rising in a soda bottle and whether they will continue to rise if the bottle falls. The second question involves an hourglass on a weighing machine and whether the weight recorded will be affected by the sand falling from one compartment to the other. It is suggested to ask for clarification from a teacher or do a google search for more information on these topics.
shrabastee
Any help will be appreciated:)

1) When a soda bottle is opened,gas bubbles rise up. Will they continue to rise if the bottle slips and starts falling?
(Note:-I've noo idea what they mean!)
2) An hourglass is kept on a weighing machine. Will the weight recorded be more if all the sand is in the lower compartment,or if sand gradually falls from one compartment to the other?
(Note:- I think this has something to do with impulse. Weight recorded should be more in the 2nd case,because an additional impulse is exerted on the weighing machine by the falling sand. I can be completely wrong of course,hehe.)

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) If you don't know what the questions means ask your teacher what he thinks it means! Anyway, the question isn't clear. Does it mean: will the bubbles 'continue to rise' (i) relative to the falling bottle, or (ii) relative to you, stood standing there. Until you know this, you can't answer the question. So teacher is being either (i) unfair in setting a trick question, or (ii) thick.

2) Try a google search on the key terms of the question. I tried 'hourglass weighing machine', and obtained:

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=14652

There are many more :-)

Actually both of those problems have to do with "closed systems". The bottle, soda, and bubbles are a closed system. what happens inside the bottle is not affected by the motion of the bottle itself. The hourglass is a closed system. What weight is registered is not affected by what happens inside the hourglass.

Thanks alot,both of you:)

Related to Conceptual questions:Newton's Laws(Grade 11)

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by a net external force. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How are Newton's laws related to each other?

Newton's laws are related in that they all describe the relationship between forces and motion. The first law sets the foundation for understanding inertia, the second law explains how forces cause acceleration, and the third law explains how forces always occur in pairs.

3. Can you give an example of Newton's first law in action?

An example of Newton's first law in action is a car coming to a stop when the driver applies the brakes. The car will continue to move forward due to its inertia, but the brakes provide a net external force to slow it down.

4. How does mass affect an object's acceleration according to Newton's second law?

According to Newton's second law, the acceleration of an object is inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the less it will accelerate for a given amount of force.

5. How is Newton's third law applied in everyday life?

Newton's third law can be seen in many everyday situations, such as a person walking. When a person takes a step, their foot exerts a force on the ground, and the ground exerts an equal and opposite force on their foot, propelling them forward. This law also explains how rockets are able to launch into space by pushing against the ground with a powerful force.