Conceptual question on polarization

In summary, when walking down a hallway with many light fixtures and a shiny floor, some reflections of the light fixtures become invisible when wearing polarized sunglasses. This is because rays from a few sources at an intermediate distance are incident at the Brewster angle, which can be extinguished by polarizing sunglasses. The lamp that is not visible depends on the height of the ceiling, your height, and the distance of the lamp.
Yashbhatt

Homework Statement

You are walking down a long hallway that has many light fixtures in the ceiling and a very shiny, newly waxed floor. In the floor, you see reflections of every light fixture. Now you put on sunglasses that are polarized. Some of the reflections of the light fixtures can not longer be seen. The reflections that disappear are those:

1. Nearest to you
  2. Farthest from you
  3. At an intermediate distance from you
  4. Both nearest & farthest

Homework Equations

$$\mu = tan(i_b)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer should be (3) and is indeed the case. However, I am not sure about the reason. I think it should be this way because rays from only a few sources at an intermediate distance will be incident at an angle equal to ##i_B##. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yashbhatt said:

Homework Statement

You are walking down a long hallway that has many light fixtures in the ceiling and a very shiny, newly waxed floor. In the floor, you see reflections of every light fixture. Now you put on sunglasses that are polarized. Some of the reflections of the light fixtures can not longer be seen. The reflections that disappear are those:

1. Nearest to you
  2. Farthest from you
  3. At an intermediate distance from you
  4. Both nearest & farthest

Homework Equations

$$\mu = tan(i_b)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer should be (3) and is indeed the case. However, I am not sure about the reason. I think it should be this way because rays from only a few sources at an intermediate distance will be incident at an angle equal to ##i_B##. Is this correct?
You are on the right tract. The intensity of rays incident the floor at the Brewster angle and reflected from it can be extinguished by polarizing sunglasses.
Which lamp is not seen, depends on the height of the ceiling, your height, and the distance of the lamp.

upload_2017-3-30_13-47-43.png

Likes Yashbhatt
ehild said:
You are on the right tract. The intensity of rays incident the floor at the Brewster angle and reflected from it can be extinguished by polarizing sunglasses.
Which lamp is not seen, depends on the height of the ceiling, your height, and the distance of the lamp.

View attachment 115266
Okay. Thanks [emoji1]

Related to Conceptual question on polarization

What is polarization?

Polarization is the phenomenon in which a transverse wave oscillates in a specific direction as it propagates through a medium. This results in the wave having a specific orientation or alignment, which can be horizontal, vertical, or any angle in between.

What causes polarization?

Polarization is caused by the interaction of a transverse wave with the particles of the medium it is traveling through. This interaction results in the wave becoming aligned in a particular direction, depending on the orientation of the particles.

What are the types of polarization?

The two main types of polarization are linear polarization and circular polarization. Linear polarization occurs when the wave oscillates in only one plane, while circular polarization occurs when the wave rotates as it propagates.

What is the difference between unpolarized and polarized light?

Unpolarized light is composed of electromagnetic waves that vibrate in all possible directions perpendicular to the direction of propagation. In contrast, polarized light has its electric field oscillating in a specific direction, resulting in a defined polarization state.

How is polarization used in everyday life?

Polarization has various applications in everyday life, such as in sunglasses to reduce glare, in LCD screens to control the intensity of light, and in photography to enhance the quality of images. It is also used in communication technologies, such as satellite communication, to improve signal quality.