Conceptual Question about electric potential

In summary: Can a charged particle ever move from a low electric potential to a high electric potential and yet have its electric potential energy decrease? Explain.What i think is that, no it is not possible for a charged particle to move to a higher potential and yet have its electric potential energy decrease. This is so because any particle which experiences a positive change in potential cannot have a decrease in electric potential energy.As far as i am concern electron is a particle which can move from a low electric potential to a high electric potential and yet have its electric potential energy decrease.Electrical Potential is defined in terms of Work done on a Unit Positive Charge (1C), brought from infinity. The Potential Energy of a charge (positive or negative
Herjap
Guys, i really need help on answering this question...

Can a charged particle ever move from a low electric potential to a high electric potential and yet have its electric potential energy decrease? Explain.

What i think is that, no it is not possible for a charged particle to move to a higher potential and yet have its electric potential energy decrease. This is so because any particle which experiences a positive change in potential cannot have a decrease in electric potential energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric potential V is related to potential energy U according to U = QV, where Q is the charge. Can you increase V while decreasing U? If so, what is the condition?

Herjap said:

Can a charged particle ever move from a low electric potential to a high electric potential and yet have its electric potential energy decrease? Explain.

What i think is that, no it is not possible for a charged particle to move to a higher potential and yet have its electric potential energy decrease. This is so because any particle which experiences a positive change in potential cannot have a decrease in electric potential energy.
As far as i am concern electron is a particle which moves from a low electric potential to a high electric potential and yet have its electric potential energy decrease.As it moves naturally from lower to higher potential (no work is done on it, so no increase in potential energy) it's potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it moves.

gracy said:
As far as i am concern electron is a particle which moves from a low electric potential to a high electric potential and yet have its electric potential energy decrease.As it moves naturally from lower to higher potential (no work is done on it, so no increase in potential energy) it's potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it moves.
This is not true. If it moves due to the field, there is work done (by the force exerted by the field) and the potential energy decreases.
The work done by the field is equal to the negative of the change in potential energy. It is also equal to the change in kinetic energy.
You can think either in terms of work and KE:
W=ΔKE (work-energy theorem)

or in terms of KE and PE, replacing W by -ΔPE
-̶Δ̶P̶E̶=̶-̶Δ̶K̶E̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶
-ΔPE=ΔKE or

ΔPE+ΔKE=0 (conservation of energy)

The first "picture" (work and KE) is more general. The last one works only for conservative forces, when you can derive the force from a potential.

Last edited:
nasu said:
-ΔPE=-ΔKE or
is it right?

As far as i am concern electron is a particle which moves from a low electric potential to a high electric potential and yet have its electric potential energy decrease.Am i right till here?

gracy said:
is it right?
No, I corrected. Just using copy-paste without paying enough attention. :)

And I think your last statement is correct. Negative particles move from low to high potential. From negative to positive.

nasu said:
And I think your last statement is correct. Negative particles move from low to high potential. From negative to positive.
and it's (negative particle for eg.electron) potential energy decreases when it moves from lower to higher potential,right?

Last edited:
Herjap said:

answer to your question would be electron is a particle which can move from a low electric potential to a high electric potential and yet have its electric potential energy decrease.

Electrical Potential is defined in terms of Work done on a Unit Positive Charge (1C), brought from infinity. The Potential Energy of a charge (positive or negative) at a certain position will be relative to some other position and will depend upon its sign and, when it moves to increase or decrease its position in the Potential Field, the sign of the change in its Potential Energy will also be affected by the sign of its charge. This is pretty obvious really if you think of needing to put energy In when you move 'uphill' and getting energy out when you move 'downhill' ; whether it's uphill or downhill (electrostatically speaking) will depend upon the sign of the test charge.
So, when you are dealing with electrons (-) things will be the other way round from the situation with a unit positive charge.

Related to Conceptual Question about electric potential

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge that a charged particle experiences in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the energy of a charged particle at a specific point in an electric field. Electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the direction and strength of the force a charged particle experiences in an electric field.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

The relationship between electric potential (V) and electric field (E) is given by the equation V = Ed, where d is the distance between the point in the electric field and the reference point. In other words, the electric potential at a point is equal to the electric field strength at that point multiplied by the distance from a reference point.

4. How is electric potential measured?

Electric potential is measured using a device called a voltmeter. A voltmeter is connected between two points in an electric circuit, and it measures the difference in electric potential between those two points.

5. What factors affect electric potential?

The factors that affect electric potential include the amount of charge of the particles involved, the distance between the charges, and the medium through which the charges are moving. Additionally, the presence of other charges in the surrounding area can also affect the electric potential.