(conceptual) question about asymptotes

• Thread starter ozil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, for rational functions, if the degree of the numerator is one larger than the degree of the denominator, there is an oblique asymptote. If the degrees are equal, there is a horizontal asymptote at ##y = \frac{a_n}{b_n}##. If the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, the x-axis is the horizontal asymptote. To determine which type of asymptote exists, one can use calculus and algebra to evaluate limits and study the behavior of the function as x or y tend to infinity. Simply knowing the degree of the numerator and denominator is not sufficient to determine the type of asymptote.
ozil
I don't think this question requires the template. Basically can some one simply explain something to me regarding asymptotes:

The rules are that for horizontal the numerator has to have a higher power. For slant / oblique the numerator has to be just 1 higher than the denominator.

How do you not confuse the two? How can you tell which is which?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think one can derive those observations by finding out dy/dx and study its behavior as x or/and y tend to infinity. I do not think there can be any other explanation than mathematical based on calculus and algebra, which includes the process of evaluating limits. Also what you are telling may be necessary but not sufficient condition. Think over that too.

ozil said:
I don't think this question requires the template. Basically can some one simply explain something to me regarding asymptotes:

The rules are that for horizontal the numerator has to have a higher power.
From "numerator has to have a higher power" I assume you're talking about rational functions, which are quotients of polynomials. If the degree of the numerator (function on top) is one larger than the degree of the denominator (function on bottom), there is an oblique asymptote. (If the degree of the numerator is larger by two or more, there is no straight line asymptote.)

If the degree of the denominator is equal to the degree of the numerator, there is a horizontal asymptote that is either above or below the horizontal axis. Its equation is ##y = \frac{a_n}{b_n}##, where ##a_n## is the coefficient of the highest degree term in the numerator, and ##b_n## is the coefficient of the highest degree term in the denominator.

If the degree of the numerator is less than that of the denominator, the x-axis is the horizontal asymptote.
ozil said:
For slant / oblique the numerator has to be just 1 higher than the denominator.

How do you not confuse the two? How can you tell which is which?

Last edited:

Related to (conceptual) question about asymptotes

What is an asymptote?

An asymptote is a line that a curve approaches, but never touches. In other words, as the curve gets closer and closer to the line, it will never actually intersect with it.

What is the difference between a horizontal and a vertical asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote occurs when the curve approaches a constant value as the input variable increases or decreases. A vertical asymptote, on the other hand, occurs when the curve approaches infinity or negative infinity as the input variable approaches a specific value.

How do you find the equations of asymptotes?

The equations of horizontal asymptotes can be found by taking the limit of the function as the input variable approaches positive or negative infinity. For vertical asymptotes, the equation can be found by setting the denominator of the function equal to zero and solving for the input variable.

Can a curve have more than one asymptote?

Yes, a curve can have multiple asymptotes. It is possible to have both horizontal and vertical asymptotes for a single curve.

Are asymptotes always straight lines?

No, asymptotes can also be curved lines. In some cases, a curve may approach a curved asymptote instead of a straight line.