Conceptual Problem with Thrust

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for thrust on a rocket, F = -u(dm/dt), which takes into account the speed of the exhaust relative to the rocket and the changing mass of the rocket. This is different from the equation for momentum, dp/dt, which assumes a constant mass. The correct equation for thrust is m(dv/dt) = F, taking into account both the changing mass and the force. This is an important distinction often overlooked in derivations of the rocket formula.
Safebox
Hi everyone, as you can tell from the title, I'm having some trouble understanding thrust. Here's what my textbook says:

"m(dv/dt) = -u(dm/dt) [where u is the speed of the exhaust relative to the rocket and dm/dt is negative]

Now dv/dt is the acceleration of the rocket, so the left side of this equation (mass times acceleration) equals the net force, or thrust on the rocket,

F = -u(dm/dt)"

But I thought F = dp/dt. So, why wouldn't the thrust, or net force, on the rocket be m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt) since the mass of the rocket varies with time?

Thanks in advance for any help. (Sorry if I posted in the wrong section.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Safebox said:
Why wouldn't the thrust, or net force, on the rocket be m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt) since the mass of the rocket varies with time?
The acceleration is affected by the decreasing mass of the rocket, but not the force.

Equation F=dp/dt assumes you are not loosing mass. If you are loosing mass, you are also loosing momentum along with it. If the rocket is moving at velocity v, an element of mass dm has momentum vdm. If you are loosing/gaining that mass at rate dm/dt, the gain/loss of momentum due to mass gain/loss is v(dm/dt).

So the correct equation is: dp/dt = v(dm/dt) + F. If you now expand dp/dt the way you did, you get: v(dm/dt) + m(dv/dt) = v(dm/dt) + F, or m(dv/dt) = F.

Good catch by the way. I remember this threw me off while trying to convert the rocket formula to relativistic case a few years back. This is actually an important step that's hand-waved away in most derivations of rocket formula.

Related to Conceptual Problem with Thrust

1. What is the conceptual problem with thrust?

The conceptual problem with thrust is that it is often misunderstood as a force, when in reality it is a measure of how much force an object or engine can generate.

2. How is thrust different from force?

Thrust is a measure of how much force an object or engine can generate, while force is a push or pull on an object caused by interactions with other objects.

3. Can thrust be negative?

Thrust can be negative if the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of motion, resulting in a deceleration or slowing down of the object.

4. What factors affect thrust?

Thrust is affected by the mass of the object or engine, the velocity of the exhaust gases, and the efficiency of the engine in converting fuel into energy.

5. How is thrust calculated?

Thrust is calculated by multiplying the mass flow rate of the exhaust gases by the velocity of the exhaust gases relative to the engine, and subtracting any losses due to inefficiencies.