Conceptual problem with projectile motion

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics homework problem involving finding the maximum height of a projectile. The first person provides their solution, but realizes they made a mistake by using 9.8 instead of g. The second person points out the error and explains why using g would have been a better approach. The first person then realizes their mistake and acknowledges it.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4554/physicshomework.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the right answer because it is obvious, but I wanted to practice working this out regardless, and I have something slightly different for hmax.

First, I found the y-component of velocity to be:

[itex]V_{o}sin\theta_{o} - 9.8t[/itex]

It follows that at the highest point, that this is equal to 0. So I set it equal to 0 and solved for t.

[itex]t = \frac{V_{o}sin\theta_{o}}{9.8}[/itex]

Integrating my y velocity gives y position:

[itex]y(t) = (V_{o}sin\theta_{o})t - 4.9t^{2}[/itex]

And solving for our time gives me:

[itex]h_{max} = V_{o}sin\theta_{o}(\frac{V_{o}sin\theta_{o}}{9.8}) - 4.9(\frac{V_{o}sin\theta_{o}}{9.8})^{2}[/itex]

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

EDIT nevermind! They are the same, just had to do some algebra.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you did wrong is writing 9.8 instead of g. If you go back and fix that and do a little algebra you'll see you already have the same answer as in the image.

I'm not sure why you think that's wrong, I didn't forget halfway through the problem that they are the same..

1MileCrash said:
I'm not sure why you think that's wrong, I didn't forget halfway through the problem that they are the same..

It's wrong because now you have to change 9.8 back to g and 4.9 back to g/2. Why didn't you just leave it g to begin with? That's what I mean by 'wrong'. It's sort of a tactical error. You're making life complicated by leaving numbers floating around instead of 'g'.

Not sure, I just wrote it that way without thinking. What I meant was that I didn't get to the end and say "they have g where I have 9.8, what is going on."

Related to Conceptual problem with projectile motion

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

What is the conceptual problem with projectile motion?

The conceptual problem with projectile motion is that it involves two independent motions: horizontal motion with constant velocity and vertical motion with constant acceleration due to gravity. This can be confusing for some people to understand.

How can I solve a projectile motion problem?

To solve a projectile motion problem, you need to break down the motion into its horizontal and vertical components, and then use equations of motion to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration for each component.

What are some real-life examples of projectile motion?

Some real-life examples of projectile motion include throwing a ball, shooting a basketball, and launching a rocket into space. These objects follow a parabolic path due to the influence of gravity.

Why is understanding projectile motion important?

Understanding projectile motion is important because it helps us predict the motion of objects in real-life situations such as sports, transportation, and even space travel. It also allows us to calculate the trajectory and range of a projectile, which is essential for accurate aiming and targeting.