Conceptual Problem (Integration)

In summary, the equation (change in mass) = 2(pie)(radius)(height)(change in radius)(density) is used to derive the moment of inertia of a cylinder. The factor of 2(pi)(radius)(height) represents the surface area of each cylindrical layer, and the change in radius (dr) accounts for the thickness of each hollow cylinder. When integrated, this equation gives the total volume of the cylinder. The "d" in front of the variables simply represents a small amount.
anonymousphys
1. Why is 2(pie)rh multiplied by the dr (change in r) equal to the change in volume?
This is in the case of deriving the moment of inertia of a cylinder; the equation is (change in mass)=2(pie)(radius)(height)(change in radius)(density).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite understand how 2(pie)(radius)(volume)(change in radius) equals change in volume? Is there a proof for this? I can imagine this working mathematically but not conceptually.2(pie)(radius)(height) is just the surface area for each layer, but how does the change in radius come in? I know it has something to do with accounting for the thickness of each hollow cylinder?

All replies are much appreciated. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
anonymousphys said:
1. Why is 2(pie)rh multiplied by the dr (change in r) equal to the change in volume?
This is in the case of deriving the moment of inertia of a cylinder; the equation is (change in mass)=2(pie)(radius)(height)(change in radius)(density).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite understand how 2(pie)(radius)(volume)(change in radius) equals change in volume? Is there a proof for this? I can imagine this working mathematically but not conceptually.2(pie)(radius)(height) is just the surface area for each layer, but how does the change in radius come in? I know it has something to do with accounting for the thickness of each hollow cylinder?

All replies are much appreciated. thanks.

Well let's start off simple. We know that 2*pi*r is the circumference of a circle. So the circumference of a circle multiplied by a height h means that we now the have the surface area of a cylinder (excluding tops). Do you see that at least? Once we have the surface area, it's just one more dimension to get to volume. So if you multiply that surface area by an infinitesimal distance element dr, you get an infinitesimal volume element = dV = dA*dr. Integrate over all that and you get the total volume.

Hi anonymousphys! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)
anonymousphys said:
I don't quite understand how 2(pie)(radius)(volume)(change in radius) equals change in volume? … how does the change in radius come in? I know it has something to do with accounting for the thickness of each hollow cylinder?

I suspect you're confused because you're calling dr the "change in" radius.

When you're integrating, "d" just means "a small amount of" …

change doesn't come into it.

You're dividing the big cylinder into a lot of tiny cylindrical shells, each of thickness dr.

Each shell has surface area 2πrh, so multiply that by the thickness (dr) to get the volume dv = 2πrh(dr), and by density to get dm = 2πρrh(dr).

(Then integrate to get ∫ 2πρrh dr)

In all these cases, "d" simply means a small amount. :wink:

Related to Conceptual Problem (Integration)

1. What is a conceptual problem in integration?

A conceptual problem in integration is a type of mathematical problem that requires the use of fundamental concepts and principles to solve. These problems often involve understanding the underlying concepts and relationships rather than just applying formulas.

2. How do you approach a conceptual problem in integration?

The key to solving a conceptual problem in integration is to first understand the underlying concepts involved. This may involve breaking down the problem into smaller parts and identifying any relationships between them. Then, you can use the appropriate integration techniques to solve the problem.

3. What are some common challenges when solving conceptual problems in integration?

Some common challenges when solving conceptual problems in integration include identifying the relevant concepts, understanding their relationships, and determining the appropriate integration techniques to use. Additionally, these problems may require critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any tips for improving performance on conceptual problems in integration?

Practice is key to improving performance on conceptual problems in integration. It is also helpful to review fundamental concepts and relationships, as well as familiarizing yourself with different integration techniques. Additionally, breaking down the problem into smaller parts and checking your work can also improve performance.

5. How can conceptual problems in integration be applied in real-world scenarios?

Conceptual problems in integration can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, integration can be used to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object. In economics, integration can be used to determine the total profit or revenue of a business. Understanding and solving conceptual problems in integration can help in analyzing and solving real-world problems in these fields.