Conceptual Physics Homework Questions

In summary, the water level at the side of the lock will remain unchanged if the iron is thrown overboard from the large barge filled with scrap iron. This is because the iron will displace an amount of water equal to its mass, but as it decreases the boat's weight, it will also displace less water. However, if the material was to be submerged, it would only displace an amount of water equal to its volume, causing the water level to decrease. This highlights the importance of considering all variables when solving physical problems.
kevinnn

Homework Statement

A large barge filled with scrap iron is in a canal lock. If the iron is thrown overboard, does the water level at the side of the lock, rise, fall, or remain unchanged?

Homework Equations

None. I like math a lot but this class I'm taking is a prerequisite to college physics. I enjoy the class though because I do believe that the fundamental conceptual understanding this class provides for physics is great.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the water level will remain unchanged. I draw this conclusion because as the iron is thrown in the water it displaces an amount of water equal to the mass of the iron. But as this happens the boats weight is reduced so it displaces less water because of the decrease in weight. So with all said and done there should be no change.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about this. If you have a 10,000 ton volume of incredible dense material only 1 foot cube and it is in a big boat that is able to support it in the water, how much weight of water does it displace? If the same 1 cubit foot of material is put in the water, how much volume of water does it displace? How much does that volume weigh?

Would be results be different if the material was the same volume but 10 times the weight?

Ohhh I was on the wrong track. So to answer your questions the dense material on the boat will displace a volume of water equal to its weight. But if the object is put in the water then it will only displace an amount of water equal to its volume. It will displace one cubic foot of water.

If the material was the same volume but ten times the weight then it would displace a larger volume of water on the boat, a volume equal to its weight, but the same volume of water if it was submerged as the less heavy object, one cubic foot.

So the answer to my question is that if the iron was to be thrown over board the height of the water would decrease correct? Because the iron out of the water displaces a volume of water equal to its weight, but in water it displaces a volume of water equal to its volume.

Yes, now you've got it. The lesson here is to really think about ALL the variables when solving physical problems.

Great thanks for the help!

Related to Conceptual Physics Homework Questions

1. What is the difference between conceptual physics and regular physics?

Conceptual physics focuses on understanding the basic principles and concepts of physics, while regular physics delves deeper into mathematical equations and applications of those principles. Conceptual physics is often considered a more introductory level of physics.

2. How do I approach conceptual physics homework questions?

First, make sure you have a strong understanding of the underlying concepts. Then, carefully read the question and break it down into smaller parts. Use diagrams and real-world examples to help understand the problem. Finally, apply the relevant principles and equations to solve the problem.

3. Can I use my own examples to understand conceptual physics concepts?

Yes, using real-world examples can be a helpful way to understand and apply conceptual physics concepts. It can also make the material more relatable and engaging.

4. Is it important to show my work when solving conceptual physics homework questions?

Yes, showing your work is crucial in conceptual physics homework. It helps ensure that you truly understand the concepts and allows for partial credit even if your final answer is incorrect. It also helps your teacher or professor see your thought process and provide feedback.

5. What resources can I use to help me with conceptual physics homework questions?

Aside from your textbook and notes, there are many online resources available for conceptual physics, including videos, simulations, and practice problems. You can also reach out to your teacher or professor for additional help and clarification.