Conceptual Physics 9th Edition Paul Hewitt

In summary: I can't find a teacher's manual or answer key though. It seems pointless to work though problems without it.That's why I think it's important to look at the problems. There's no substitute for practice. If you try to solve the problems without looking at the solution, you're likely to get lost or frustrated.
pinkfishegg
Hello,
I bought conceptual physics 9th edition by Paul Hewitt. A teach recommended it to me to study conceptual physics/conceptual physics GRE problems. I can't find a teacher's manual or answer key though. It seems pointless to work though problems without it. Does anyone know if this exists or can they offer anouther resource? I never took high school physics and in a weird place where I can do some of the quantum questions but get conceptual mechanics/E and M questions wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321052021/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pinkfishegg said:
I can't find a teacher's manual or answer key though.
Those are meant for teachers (of course). (Instructors can request them through their institution.)

That said, I believe they do sell "Practice Books" to accompany the textbook. Check amazon.

You can also pick up a Schaum's outline kind of book with practice problems.

If you need help with particular problems, you can can get that right here in our "Homework Help" section. ;)

Try the Schaum's 3000 solved problems book.

I can't find a teacher's manual or answer key though. It seems pointless to work though problems without it.

I can think of no better remedy than to see problems solved. You can practice writing out the solution, then try it for yourself. Remember that problems are very important, you should at least knów how to solve every problem in a chapter before moving on. If there are questions you don't know how to solve, there is more to learn about that topic.

Verty, does Schaum's 3000 Solved Problems book cover conceptual physics questions, Freshman mechanics-Modern physics or junior and senior level physics?

pinkfishegg said:
Verty, does Schaum's 3000 Solved Problems book cover conceptual physics questions, Freshman mechanics-Modern physics or junior and senior level physics?

It's not going to have conceptual questions in the sense that they would ask things like, "Explain the law of conservation of energy and illustrate it with two plausible examples", it'll be stuff like "find the kinetic energy of the bob after the bullet strikes it". Each question will be a straightforward calculation more or less, or something definite that you need to calculate, and the difficulty will be to draw a sketch, fill in all the information, decide what you can calculate from that information and then find a path that leads you to the answer. Perhaps you are given the impulse and must the speed of the bullet, then use that with conservation of momentum to find the speed of the bob, etc. It'll be a chain of steps like that but they will start out very simple and there will be many questions to practice on so I'm sure all you will find that it is a gradual slope and there will be many questions to practice on.

And remember you can ask any question here, it can even be simple stuff. So suppose you don't even know where to start, people can of course give advice and they will quickly see that you need help and will give it.

I haven't seen that actual book but I can sense that the issue you have is with problems, and I always believed that the best way to overcome a fear of something is by tackling small examples head on. And that is the point, if you don't look at the journey but only the next step, it shouldn't be so hard. I mean, of all the questions in the book, surely you can solve question 1, right? Or if you can't, it's bound to be very easy and you could look it up. And continue like that. If you can do question 1, surely you could also do question 2. And eventually, continuing like that, one at a time, you will learn how it all works and it'll become easier.

Best of luck.

-- edit --
Sorry, I didn't answer your question. There is this 3000 questions one and another one called College Physics with 744 problems. I see the following in one of the reviews of that book:

Keep in mind that there is no calculus in the introductory chapters. If you need problems of that sort, check out the companion problem solver, Schaum's 3000 phys questions, (another valuable resource.).

This leads me to suspect the 3000 physics questions has calculus questions and non-calculus questions. I think it must be quite broad in scope. You could of course skip all the calculus questions and that would be fine. It does say on the cover that it can be used for noncalculus physics.

Last edited:

Related to Conceptual Physics 9th Edition Paul Hewitt

1. What is the main focus of "Conceptual Physics 9th Edition Paul Hewitt"?

The main focus of "Conceptual Physics 9th Edition Paul Hewitt" is to provide a conceptual understanding of basic physics principles and their applications in everyday life. It emphasizes on the fundamental concepts rather than mathematical equations, making it accessible to a wider audience.

2. Is "Conceptual Physics 9th Edition Paul Hewitt" suitable for beginners or is it more advanced?

"Conceptual Physics 9th Edition Paul Hewitt" is suitable for both beginners and those with a basic understanding of physics. It starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them, making it suitable for students at all levels.

3. What makes "Conceptual Physics 9th Edition Paul Hewitt" different from other physics textbooks?

Unlike other physics textbooks, "Conceptual Physics 9th Edition Paul Hewitt" focuses on making the subject more relatable and understandable to students by using real-life examples and analogies. It also places a greater emphasis on conceptual understanding rather than rote memorization of equations.

4. Are there any interactive elements in "Conceptual Physics 9th Edition Paul Hewitt"?

Yes, "Conceptual Physics 9th Edition Paul Hewitt" includes interactive elements such as QR codes, links to online simulations, and access to online resources such as videos, quizzes, and practice problems. These elements enhance the learning experience and make the concepts more engaging.

5. Can "Conceptual Physics 9th Edition Paul Hewitt" be used for self-study or is it meant for classroom use only?

"Conceptual Physics 9th Edition Paul Hewitt" can be used for both self-study and classroom use. It includes clear and concise explanations, along with practice problems and self-check quizzes, making it a valuable resource for students studying on their own as well as in a classroom setting.