Conceptual audiobooks on physics/engineering

• Thread starter WannaBeME
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conceptual
In summary, some recommended audiobooks for those interested in physics and engineering topics are "The Quantum Story: A History in 40 Moments" by Baggott, "The Day We Found the Universe" by Bartusiak, and "The Strangest Man: The Hidden Life of Paul Dirac, Mystic of the Atom" by Farmelo. These books cover various historical and scientific aspects of physics and are suitable for listeners with a basic understanding of the subject. Other recommendations include the Teaching Company Lectures and the book "e=mc2" by Jeff Stewart.
WannaBeME
I drive 45 mins one way to class 5 days a week and started thinking maybe it wouldn't be so miserable if I had something interesting to listen to instead of the same music over and over.

I'm a mech engineering undergrad with an aerospace concentration, at I'd guess the sophomore level. Not completely sure since I transferred in, but currently only in calculus 2 and physics 1 if that makes a difference on section.

I'm really interested in physics and engineering topics, as well as maybe a good biography of a great physicist/engineer. Einsteins life intrigues me but there are so many books about him that I'm not sure which would be better.

With my current level Of education and only wanting an audiobook, it'd have to more about concepts and the basics of whichever subject.

Thank you so much for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
xristy said:

Thank You for you suggestions! I'm planning to order The Strangest Man on iTunes in the morning, the first two however seem to have some reviews that are scaring me off.

I just finished reading the book, e=mc2, by Jeff Stewart over spring break and really enjoyed it. I am not too experienced with much past the basics but love to learn about physics but I also don't want things to go over my head because I haven't learned it yet. Do you think the first two will be okay given my current education level?

Also any suggestions are welcome, especially ones that will further my knowledge of physics!

WannaBeME said:
Thank You for you suggestions! I'm planning to order The Strangest Man on iTunes in the morning, the first two however seem to have some reviews that are scaring me off.

I just finished reading the book, e=mc2, by Jeff Stewart over spring break and really enjoyed it. I am not too experienced with much past the basics but love to learn about physics but I also don't want things to go over my head because I haven't learned it yet. Do you think the first two will be okay given my current education level?

Also any suggestions are welcome, especially ones that will further my knowledge of physics!

"The Day We Found the Universe" is a very nicely told story of how we came to know about galaxies and the expansion of the universe up to around the mid 1950's.There's a lot about the people and the rivalries that developed the great observatories.

The book certainly doesn't demand anything beyond high school science. I found no problem with the narration.

"The Quantum Story" makes more demands for full comprehension but is also a really accessible whirl wind tour through the 20th century of the quantum from Planck through the Manhattan Project, QED, the Standard Model, Bell and beyond. There's a lot there about the people and some of the flavor of science in the making. It's like a more complete (in the sense that it covers a longer time period) and much less demanding "Inward Bound" by A. Pais.

Thanks a lot for giving a little more info on them. I think The Quantum Story will be my next purchase, or maybe I will get that one first and strangest man second. Either way, thank you for your suggestions!

Related to Conceptual audiobooks on physics/engineering

1. What are conceptual audiobooks on physics and engineering?

Conceptual audiobooks on physics and engineering are audio recordings that explain complex scientific concepts in a simplified and engaging manner. They use real-life examples and analogies to help listeners understand the principles and theories of physics and engineering.

2. How can conceptual audiobooks help in understanding physics and engineering?

Conceptual audiobooks can help in understanding physics and engineering by breaking down complex concepts into simpler terms and providing real-life applications. They also allow listeners to learn at their own pace and can be a helpful supplement to traditional textbooks and lectures.

3. Are conceptual audiobooks as effective as traditional textbooks and lectures?

It depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Some people may find audiobooks more engaging and easier to understand, while others may prefer traditional methods of learning. However, using both methods together can be beneficial in enhancing understanding and retention of the material.

4. Who can benefit from conceptual audiobooks on physics and engineering?

Conceptual audiobooks can benefit anyone interested in learning about physics and engineering, regardless of their level of knowledge or background. They can be particularly useful for students, professionals, and anyone looking to gain a basic understanding of these subjects.

5. Are there any recommended conceptual audiobooks on physics and engineering?

Yes, there are many highly recommended conceptual audiobooks on physics and engineering, such as "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. It's best to do some research and read reviews to find the audiobook that best suits your interests and learning goals.