Concept questions - Laws of Motion

In summary: Is it because terminal velocity is defined as when the force of gravity is balanced by the force of drag? So since a heavier person has a heavier weight, the terminal velocity will be greater because it takes more time to balance out the weight while accelerating?Not because it takes more time per se.
page123

Homework Statement

Newton's 1st Law of Motion

A ball rolled across the top of a pool table and slowly rolls to a stop. How would Aristotle interpret this behavior? Galileo? You?

Newton's 2nd Law of Motion

If a heavy person and a light person parachute together form the same altitude, and each wears the same size parachute, who should reach the ground first?

Homework Equations

* Fnet = m * a

* Faction = -Freaction

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are your answers?

What have you tried? Where are you stuck?

I see that you have 28 posts on this site. You should know the drill by now.

SammyS said:
What are your answers?

What have you tried? Where are you stuck?

I see that you have 28 posts on this site. You should know the drill by now.

I edited out the ones I'm not stuck on, I'm not sure how I would interpret the ball rolling and stopping on the table (friction?) and about the heavy/light person parachute thing I'm getting two answers:

1) g = Fg/m, right? so they would be similar ratios but one has a higher mass and bigger Fg, but they would both reach at the same acceleration --> same time reach the ground

2) the lighter person reaches terminal velocity first but the heavier person keeps accelerating (not sure how) so the heavier person hits ground first

which is right?

page123 said:
I edited out the ones I'm not stuck on, I'm not sure how I would interpret the ball rolling and stopping on the table (friction?) and about the heavy/light person parachute thing I'm getting two answers:

1) g = Fg/m, right? so they would be similar ratios but one has a higher mass and bigger Fg, but they would both reach at the same acceleration --> same time reach the ground

2) the lighter person reaches terminal velocity first but the heavier person keeps accelerating (not sure how) so the heavier person hits ground first

which is right?
"g = Fg/m, right?" Wow, that's hard to read. Looks like g should cancel. --- But I presume you mean that:

g = (Fg)/m .

Your answer #2 is the better of the two. Actually another factor is that terminal velocity is greater for the heavier person. Can you explain why that is true?

SammyS said:
"g = Fg/m, right?" Wow, that's hard to read. Looks like g should cancel. --- But I presume you mean that:

g = (Fg)/m .

Your answer #2 is the better of the two. Actually another factor is that terminal velocity is greater for the heavier person. Can you explain why that is true?

Is it because terminal velocity is defined as when the force of gravity is balanced by the force of drag? So since a heavier person has a heavier weight, the terminal velocity will be greater because it takes more time to balance out the weight while accelerating?

Not because it takes more time per se.

How is force of drag related to speed?

Related to Concept questions - Laws of Motion

1. What are Newton's three laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do the laws of motion apply to everyday life?

The laws of motion apply to everyday life in countless ways. For example, when you push a door to open it, you are applying force to the door (Newton's second law). When you ride a bike, you are experiencing inertia (Newton's first law). When you throw a ball, you can see the equal and opposite reaction as the ball bounces back off a wall (Newton's third law).

3. Are the laws of motion applicable to all objects?

Yes, the laws of motion apply to all objects, regardless of their size or mass. These laws are fundamental principles that govern the movement of all objects in the universe.

4. Can the laws of motion be broken?

No, the laws of motion cannot be broken. They have been tested and proven to be true in countless experiments and observations. However, there are certain situations where the laws may appear to be broken, but in reality, there are other forces at play that we may not be aware of.

5. Who discovered the laws of motion?

The laws of motion were discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century. He published his findings in his famous book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" (Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy) in 1687.