Concept Question. Record turntable rotates at constant angular velocity.

In summary, the conversation discusses a record turntable rotating at constant angular velocity and the resulting radial and tangential acceleration of a point on its rim. It also raises the question of how the acceleration would change if the angular velocity were to increase uniformly. The homework equations are unknown, and the person speaking is unsure of the answer to part a) but believes that the point would have both radial and tangential acceleration in part b). The discussion concludes with a question about when the magnitude of the components of linear acceleration would change.
balletgirl

Homework Statement

Suppose a record turntable rotates at constant angular velocity.
a) Does a point on the rim have radial and/or tangential acceleration?
b) If the turntable's angular velocity increases uniformly, does the point have radial and/or tangential acceleration?
c) For which cases would the magnitude of either of the components of linear acceleration change?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I don't understand the concepts, but I think for part b) that it has both radial and tangential acceleration... but I'm not certain

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi balletgirl! :wink:
balletgirl said:
Basically, I don't understand the concepts, but I think for part b) that it has both radial and tangential acceleration... but I'm not certain

hmm :rolleyes: … to see what you make of the concepts, first tell us the answer to a) :smile:

Related to Concept Question. Record turntable rotates at constant angular velocity.

1. What is a concept question?

A concept question is a type of question used to assess a person's understanding of a concept or idea. It is often open-ended and requires critical thinking to answer.

2. What is a record turntable?

A record turntable is a device used to play vinyl records. It consists of a rotating platform and a tonearm with a needle that reads the grooves on the record and produces sound.

3. What does it mean for a record turntable to rotate at constant angular velocity?

Constant angular velocity means that the turntable is rotating at a constant speed in a circular motion. In other words, the turntable is rotating at a steady rate of rotation without any changes in speed.

4. Why is it important for a record turntable to rotate at constant angular velocity?

It is important for a record turntable to rotate at constant angular velocity because it ensures that the record is played at a consistent speed. Any fluctuations in speed can affect the sound quality and cause the record to sound distorted.

5. How does a record turntable maintain constant angular velocity?

A record turntable maintains constant angular velocity through the use of a motor and a speed control mechanism. The motor provides the initial rotation, and the speed control mechanism regulates the speed to keep it constant.