Concept of Rate: Understanding Division of Different Units

In summary, the concept of a "rate" refers to the relationship between two quantities with different units, such as speed. The expression for division, or dividing one unit by another, arises from the concept of a rate. For example, the slope of a curve can be found by dividing the change in meters by the change in time. This can also be applied to other rates, such as acceleration, which is the change in velocity divided by the change in time. The use of fractions in these calculations represents the relationship between two properties and the corresponding operations on them.
Square1
The concept of a "rate"

Here's another question from good ol square :|

I was hoping to get some clarification about the concept of a rate of two quantities, with different units, like speed [itex]\frac{a-units}{b-units}[/itex]. How does the expression for division [itex]\frac{a-units}{b-units}[/itex] arise from the statement like 'a' meters per 'b' seconds?

If I were to plot meters vs. time for some object moving at constant speed, I can get the 'rate' of the curve by using the definition of slope like we were taught Δmeters/Δtime ie the speed.

I also understand that acceleration is the change in velocity, 'per' given desired time interval ie Δvelocity/Δtime.

In both cases, I don't think I have conceptual issue with why it makes sense to define these rates of change with respect to time, I just don't understand what division has to do with it - multiple subtractions of units of time, from the numerator?? :S Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Square1! :smile:
Square1 said:
… I can get the 'rate' of the curve by using the definition of slope like we were taught Δmeters/Δtime ie the speed.

… I just don't understand what division has to do with it - multiple subtractions of units of time, from the numerator??

The slope is a division: units up over units across.

(and i don't understand the last part of your question, about subtractions)

"per" means "divide".

A ball rolls 5 feet every 30 seconds. How far has it rolled after 3 minutes (solve without using fractions)? How did you reason out your answer? Is it a bit like "There are 5 feet attributed to every slice of 30 seconds, so I just have to find how many slices of 30 seconds fit into 3 minutes" ? That's pretty much the motivation for a fraction: one property is directly associated to a certain amount of a different property, so operations with that property correspond to operations on the proper corresponding multiple of the first property.

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I am backing out of this question though. I don't know if I am overthinking it or something, but I am having a "I'm not exactly sure what my own problem even is" moment. Although, there is something I'm not getting :S Maybe I'll come back to it another time.

Related to Concept of Rate: Understanding Division of Different Units

1. What is the concept of rate?

The concept of rate refers to the comparison of two different quantities with different units. It involves understanding the relationship between the quantities and determining how many of one quantity corresponds to a specific number of the other quantity.

2. How is rate related to division?

Rate is related to division because it involves dividing one quantity by another quantity. This division helps to determine the ratio or rate between the two quantities.

3. Can rate be applied to any units?

Yes, rate can be applied to any units as long as the two quantities being compared have the same units.

4. How is rate different from ratio?

Rate and ratio are closely related concepts, but they are different. Ratio is the comparison of two quantities with the same units, while rate involves comparing two quantities with different units.

5. What are some real-life examples of rate?

Some real-life examples of rate include speed (miles per hour), currency exchange rates, and unit pricing at the grocery store (cost per ounce or pound). It can also be used to calculate average rates, such as miles per gallon in a car or words per minute in typing.