Concentration of paint in each bowl after certain time

In summary, the second bowl is done incorrectly and the amount of paint in the second bowl is only increasing during the first 200 seconds.
skrat

Homework Statement

We are taking a closer look at three identical bowls with volume ##10l##. At the beginning only the first bowl is full with water mixed with ##0.5kg## of paint. The other two bowls are empty. Than we provide a constant flow of ##0.05 l/s## of clear water straight into the first bowl. Because the first bowl is already full, the mixture of paint and water starts flowing into the second bowl and when the second bowl is full, the mixture continues into the third bowl.

Calculate the concentration of paint in each bowl when the bowl no. 3 is full. Water and paint are always very well mixed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first one should be simple. I will use notation ##V## for volume, ##c## for concentration of paint and ##\phi _v## for that constant flow.

First bowl:

##Vdc=-c\phi _vdt##

##c(t)=c_0e^{-\beta t}## where ##\beta = \frac{\phi _v}{V}## and ##c_0=\frac{m_p}{m_w}## where ##m_p## is mass of paint and ##m_w## mass of water.

If I am not mistaken ##t=\frac{2V}{\phi _v}=400s## so finally

##c(t=400s)=0,00676##

Second bowl:

##Vdc_2=(c_1(t)\phi _v-c_2\phi _v)dt##

##dc_2=(c_0e^{-\beta t}-c_2)\beta dt##

##c_2(t)=(\beta c_0t+D)e^{-\beta t}## , we know that ##c_2(t=0)=0## therefore:

##c_2(t)=\beta c_0te^{-\beta t}##

and

##c_2(t=400)=0,0135## (Greater than ##c_1## ??)

Third bowl:

##c_3(t)=c_0(\beta t)^2e^{-\beta t}##

##c_3(t=200s)=0,00184 ##

Physics news on Phys.org
For me the only important details here are amount of paint and time. You want to think in terms of paint flow and time, ignore any other distracting details.

So for example, the amount of paint in A is changing, let A'(t) be that rate of change at time t. Similarly, the amount of paint in B is changing, let B'(t) be that rate of change. Find A(t) and B(t).

PS. You want to keep things simple whenever possible.

The second bowl is done incorrectly. During the first 200 sec, V is a function of time for bowl 2: V=øvt, and the amount of paint in bowl 2 is øvtc2. This needs to be taken into account. During the first 200 sec, I get:
[tex]c_2=c_0\frac{(1-e^{-βt})}{βt}[/tex]

Chet

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
The second bowl is done incorrectly. During the first 200 sec, V is a function of time for bowl 2: V=øvt, and the amount of paint in bowl 2 is øvtc2. This needs to be taken into account. During the first 200 sec, I get:
[tex]c_2=c_0\frac{(1-e^{-βt})}{βt}[/tex]

Chet

Uhh, you are right. During the first 200 seconds the amount of paint in the second bowl is only increasing, nothing is going out of it.

I agree, I did the calculation again and I got the same result.

Thanks Chet!

Overall, your calculations seem correct. However, there may be some confusion in your notation. It is not clear what you mean by "Vdc" and "dc". Typically, the rate of change of concentration with respect to time is written as d[c]/dt or dc/dt. Additionally, in your calculation for the second bowl, you have used c1(t) but it is not clear where this term comes from. Overall, it would be helpful to define your variables more clearly to avoid confusion. Additionally, it may be helpful to include units in your calculations to ensure accuracy.

Related to Concentration of paint in each bowl after certain time

1. How does the concentration of paint change over time in each bowl?

The concentration of paint in each bowl will decrease over time as the paint particles spread out and become more diluted in the solvent.

2. What factors affect the concentration of paint in each bowl?

The initial concentration of paint, the type and amount of solvent, and the rate of mixing are all factors that can affect the concentration of paint in each bowl.

3. Is there a way to measure the concentration of paint in each bowl?

Yes, the concentration of paint in each bowl can be measured using a spectrophotometer or by conducting a titration to determine the amount of paint particles remaining in the solution.

4. How does temperature impact the concentration of paint in each bowl?

Temperature can affect the rate of diffusion and therefore impact the concentration of paint in each bowl. Higher temperatures can lead to faster diffusion and a decrease in concentration.

5. Can the concentration of paint be controlled in each bowl?

Yes, by adjusting the initial concentration of paint, the amount of solvent, and the mixing rate, the concentration of paint in each bowl can be controlled to achieve the desired result.