Concentration of Molecules in the Air

In summary, at a height of 300 kilometers above the Earth's surface, the atmospheric pressure is 10-8 mmHg and the temperature is 500 K. There are about 3.207 x 10-13 molecules per milliliter.
MysticDude
Gold Member

Homework Statement

At a height of 300km above the Earth's surface, an astronaut finds that the atmospheric pressure is about 10-8 mmHg and the temperature 500 K. How many molecules are there per milliliter at this altitude?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first thought that I had to calculate the amount of moles in area then multiply that by Avogadro's number. But then I realized that there is no amount of volume given here, only the height, as I was thinking about using the Ideal Gas Law. All I need is the volume, but I don't know how to get it. Was I even on the right track here?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]PV = nRT \implies V/n = RT/P \implies n/V = P/RT[/itex]. To simplify your calculation, take the universal gas constant to be: [itex]R = 0.08206 \frac{\textrm{atm}\cdot\textrm{L}}{\textrm{K}\cdot\textrm{mol}}[/itex].

Coto said:
[itex]PV = nRT \implies V/n = RT/P \implies n/V = P/RT[/itex]. To simplify your calculation, take the universal gas constant to be: [itex]R = 0.08206 \frac{\textrm{atm}\cdot\textrm{L}}{\textrm{K}\cdot\textrm{mol}}[/itex].

Yes, but I'm missing the volume. I only have the 300 km in the air for information.

They're looking for mols/mL ... so no, you don't need a volume, you need an n/V ... which only requires knowledge of P and T. (Liter is a measure of volume).

You are given volume. They ask for number of molecules per milliliter.

Okay, so by using Coto's equation, I get 3.207 x 10-13[tex]\frac{mol}{L}[/tex].
So to get [itex]\frac{molecules}{milliliter}[/itex], I would have to do this:
[tex]3.207 x 10^{-13}\frac{mol}{L} x \frac{1 L}{1000 mL} x 6.022x10^{23}\frac{molecules}{mol}[/tex]...in order to get my answer, right?

Last edited:
Exactly... except [itex]N_A = 6.022 \cdot 10^{23}\frac{\textrm{moleculues}}{\textrm{mol}}[/itex]. Not -23 :).

Coto said:
Exactly... except [itex]N_A = 6.022 \cdot 10^{23}\frac{\textrm{moleculues}}{\textrm{mol}}[/itex]. Not -23 :).

I changed that a minute after I saw the negative. I guess the picture didn't update o.o

Anyway, I got something like 192764220 molecules/milliliter. Can you compare?

Close enough to what I get. Watch significant figures.

Borek said:
Close enough to what I get. Watch significant figures.
I know that I should watch significant numbers. I just plugged in everything directly into my calculator. Thanks a bunch for checking!

Related to Concentration of Molecules in the Air

What is the definition of "concentration of molecules in the air"?

The concentration of molecules in the air refers to the amount of a particular molecule present in a given volume of air. It is typically measured in parts per million (ppm) or parts per billion (ppb).

How is the concentration of molecules in the air measured?

The concentration of molecules in the air can be measured using various techniques such as gas chromatography, infrared spectroscopy, or mass spectrometry. These methods involve collecting air samples and analyzing them to determine the presence and quantity of specific molecules.

What factors affect the concentration of molecules in the air?

The concentration of molecules in the air can be influenced by a variety of factors such as temperature, humidity, wind speed, and human activities. Natural processes like photosynthesis and respiration also play a role in the concentration of molecules in the air.

Why is the concentration of molecules in the air important?

The concentration of molecules in the air is important because it can impact human health, climate, and the environment. High concentrations of certain pollutants in the air can lead to respiratory problems and contribute to global warming. Understanding and monitoring the concentration of molecules in the air can help us make informed decisions to protect our health and the planet.

How does the concentration of molecules in the air vary in different locations?

The concentration of molecules in the air can vary significantly in different locations due to factors such as local emissions, weather patterns, and topography. Urban areas tend to have higher concentrations of pollutants compared to rural areas. Additionally, the concentration of molecules can also vary depending on the time of day and season.