Concentration of Ca 2+ and Mg 2+ from EDTA titration?

In summary, EDTA titration is a common method used to determine the concentration of Ca 2+ and Mg 2+ in a solution. This involves adding a known amount of EDTA (ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid) to the solution, which forms a stable complex with the metal ions. By measuring the amount of EDTA used, the concentration of Ca 2+ and Mg 2+ can be calculated. This method is widely used in industries such as water treatment and pharmaceuticals to ensure the appropriate levels of these ions are present.
MitsuShai

Homework Statement

This is the lab I did: http://chemistry.depaul.edu/wwolbach/205_207/11.pdf
only steps 1,2, & 3 was performed

Homework Equations

MV1=MV2

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help finding the concentration of Ca 2+ and Mg 2+.
I already know the basics of it, but I really don't know how to do this.
My professor explained it badly and they don't really teach you how to do the calculations. Its hard to figure this thing out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to show some information about your titrant. What information are you using for your SAMPLE? How much volume of analyte solution did you titrate?

nevermind I thing I got it

Related to Concentration of Ca 2+ and Mg 2+ from EDTA titration?

1. What is the purpose of measuring the concentration of Ca2+ and Mg2+ from EDTA titration?

The purpose of this measurement is to determine the total hardness of a water sample. Calcium and magnesium ions are responsible for the majority of water hardness, so measuring their concentration can give us an overall understanding of the water's hardness.

2. How is EDTA titration used to determine the concentration of Ca2+ and Mg2+?

EDTA (ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid) is a chelating agent that binds with metal ions, such as calcium and magnesium. In this titration method, a known amount of EDTA is added to the water sample, and the excess EDTA is then titrated with a standard solution of a metal ion indicator. The point at which the indicator changes color indicates the endpoint of the titration, and from this, the concentration of Ca2+ and Mg2+ can be calculated.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the concentration measurement using EDTA titration?

The accuracy of the measurement can be affected by various factors, such as the purity of the EDTA and indicator used, the presence of other metal ions in the water sample, and the pH of the solution. It is important to ensure that all equipment and reagents are properly calibrated and that the titration is carried out under controlled conditions to obtain accurate results.

4. What is the significance of knowing the concentration of Ca2+ and Mg2+ in water?

The concentration of Ca2+ and Mg2+ in water is significant because it can affect the taste, appearance, and usability of water. High levels of these ions can cause water to be hard, which can lead to scale buildup in pipes and appliances, reduced lathering of soap, and potential health concerns. By measuring their concentration, appropriate treatment methods can be implemented to improve the quality of the water.

5. Are there any health concerns associated with high levels of Ca2+ and Mg2+ in water?

While calcium and magnesium are essential minerals for human health, high levels in drinking water may contribute to certain health issues. For example, hard water has been linked to an increased risk of kidney stones and cardiovascular disease. However, the concentration of these ions in drinking water is typically not high enough to cause significant health concerns. It is more of an aesthetic concern, affecting the taste and appearance of water.